DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Disabling knock sensor for initial startup tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Disabling knock sensor for initial startup tuning.

Getting ready to crank my new TPI 383/Holley HP EFI for the first time, and I'm going over everything again and again. I've been reading a lot about tuning the knock sensor, but I almost feel like at first, there's SO many variables, and that I'm in a little too deep!

First question. With an initially conservative tune, getting the car up and running, bugs worked out etc. etc, is there anything wrong with setting the ECM to NOT look for a knock sensor? ...Isn't the knock sensor basically a safety measure allowing you to push the timing envelope? (which I won't be doing right away)

Second question. Maybe a little more theoretical. Since carbs aren't running a knock sensor at all, how do you avoid knock? Is it simply going a little more conservative with timing? Is it actually LISTENING for it? Is it experience?

I want to do this right. I WANT to run a knock sensor, and put in the time to understand and tune it. ....but honestly, my first goal is to get the car up and running and I'm happy to have that on a conservative tune if the consensus is that I "probably" won't blow up the car!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Disabling knock sensor for initial startup tuning.

I haven't looked at Holley, but the knock sensor doesn't do anything at startup except register counts in any cars code I've looked at.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Ya know I'm pretty sure you're right. ....I can see the RPM/MAP graph in my head. Don't recall the values, but I think you're right.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 84 El Camino
Engine: 360 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 + Truetrac, Moser 28 Spline

You may get knocks at startup, but not a big deal. Can't disable. But since they are cumulative values, if they don't change after startup, you're OK. You definitively want to use a KS to ensure engine is protected if the unexpected happens.