DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

94 blazer cpi help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro berlinetta
Engine: v8
Transmission: 700r4
94 blazer cpi help needed

so from what i have read i understand the tuning process for a late 80s f body. i dont own a late 80s efi fbody mine is an 84 with no computer. but i do own a 94 s10 blazer with the cpi 4.3 that i am trying to tune pretty much from scratch for my computer hardware class. the blazer forum i am a part of doesnt have much on burning new eproms for the truck, but this forum seems to be the best resource for obd1 eprom burning. my project for my hardware class is to build an eeprom burner from an arduino uno. i have a prototype, but i need to test it. i have been told i will still pass the class even if it doesnt work, but i have my own arduino and would like to continue this project throughout the summer to tune my blazer a bit. now here is my question. how is the tuning process for the blazer goint to be different from tuning a tbi fbody? can i use the same eeprom chips you guys use to replace the eprom? are the adapters for the memcal just jumpering the new chip before the eprom in the memcal or is it more complex circuitry? when i edit the bin in tuner pro rt will there be anything that i should watch for the first time around to make sure i dont brick my truck? how would i tune the transmission? i guess i kind of just made the assumption that my truck has a eprom/memcal based ecm, but could it be the lt1 flashable style ecm? an astro owner said something about that being the casefor them but i dont know.

for anybody who owns one of these trucks do you know does it have a wide band o2 factory? tuner pro rt with the definition for the truck shows the a/f guage as wbo2, and the diy wide band o2 project on diyefi(i think) uses a o2 sensor from a similar year vortec honda or nissan or something(forgot to bookmark the link).

im sure i will have more questions once i really get into tuning, but that is it for now.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: 94 blazer cpi help needed

Definitely no on the WB O2.
Have a 94 pickup w/ CPI and the Haynes manuals if you need a pic.
IIRC, the old body blazer and new body truck had ECM location differences.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:12 PM

yeah mine is the old body with under dash ecm and i know it is obd1 and not the 1.5. i just wasnt sure on the wide band as there is not much info on the net about this trucks efi. i do have a haynes but it says nothing about the eproms. i think i have determined it is not a flash ecm, as i can datalog from it using the standard definitions. im still kinda clueless on what chips i can use in it, but i have found a site with multiple bins for this ecm. next step is finding out exactly which one is in it, then i need to order the chip and finish up my circuit board to burn it. via the data log i as able to fix the 4x4 and a tcc problem so thats a plus, although the truck stays pretty rich around 12.5:1 once it is warmed up.
thanks for the help
Old 04-26-2017, 01:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig Moates for the hardware. TunerPro for data logging and burning. bins and def files at Moates and Gearhead. Stickies above helpful.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM

i have been data logging via tunerpro, but this is currently a class project to build the hardware my self. i think i have the right definition files but i dont know which bin to start with. can i use the same chips as you guys or would my application be different?

as far as the hardware goes, i would buy the moates stuff if i had the money as it does seem well made and reliable. but there are other reasons why im doing it the way i am.
1 i want to understand how the hardware works, whether im in the class or not i still like to be able to understand what is going on. i also am thinking of doing things slightly different to develop other features once i know what i am doing.
2 programming eeproms is not really a automotive specific thing. many other aspects of computer science use eeproms and eproms for various things this is just the first project i could think of when it came to making a burner. once i can test my version of the burner using something that there is a lost of answers on then i can move on to programming one off chips for hard to find applications, like the berlinetta.
3 its cheaper to build my own, but does take more time and may not be as reliable, but i can service it myself.
4 its mostly done once i purchase the chips, why bail out now.
5 i am more of a diy build it from scratch type of person, and this is in my field of study. if i was only going to burn chips for automotive ecms and nothing else, or was doing enough of it that it justified having a second burner i would totally buy the moates one as it is likely more reliable, and has manufacturer support. and i will likely one day buy the stuff, but i want to know how it works first.
please dont bother trying to talk me out of this as its not going to work, i am not in dire need of an eeprom burner, nor does my truck need tuned, i just want to see if i can do it and i cant justify spending the money on that basis alone.

questions:
so how do i find the right bin? i can find many that are listed for the ecm in the truck, but not sure which one i need?
can i use the same chip recommended for the fbody cars? does the chip just need to be the right number of pins, or is there something more specific about it? since i building my own burner and adapter can any chip be made to work via wiring as long as it has at least enough pins and space?
is there a difference between running eeproms vs a emulator? as in is the emulator just an eeprom and a mircorcontroler to write on it or is it more of a microcontroler with added ram that runs full time like the ram and processor in your pc? im guessing the second one.