DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Noob EBL question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob EBL question

Hello everyone.

My first post here, and first attempt tuning, or working on, a Chevy V8.

I have a 1990 L05 attached to a TH400 trans. The EBL Flash Im using does not have a base bin for this combo. I've loaded up both L03/TH400 and L05/700R4 bins and it starts and runs(statically) okay. There's a slight stumble off of idle for both tunes.

So Im wondering how I go about, or do I need to, change a bin to suit my transmission set up. I noticed the SA tables between the L03 and 5 differ, with the L05 having more advance, so I would like to run that.

Also, when idling/blipping the throttle today, I noticed the NB O2 readout on the WUD holding at 14.7, while the mV fluctuated with throttle movement. The O2 voltage was bouncing even at steady throttle positions. Bad sensor?

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 08-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Noob EBL question

You do not need a bin that is specific for the transmission you are running, so either bin will work. However, you need to make sure your base timing by hand coincides with your initial timing in the bin, as well as use the Utility to dial in your injectors. The 14.7 shown on the WUD underneath your INT/BLM is your target air/fuel, it does not mean that is what you're combustion is currently reading at the moment, it is only displaying the target. Your BLM's will fluctuate with the O2 mV, and it is there in which will tell you your air/fuel ratio. You'll want it as close to 128 BLM (14.7) as possible, so focus on your VE Learns until you see that as your average during idle. The sensor itself is fine, what you're seeing is the sensor essentially sweeping back and forth...

- Rob
Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

> change a bin to suit my transmission set up.

Load the L05 BIN that you want to use. Then load one of the BINs for a TH400 as a compare BIN. Then copy all of the TCC parameters to the L05 BIN.

See the very end of the Intro to Tuning Part 2 on our site for more information on doing this.

RBob.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, guys!

I sheepishly admit I ducked out near the end of part 2 when I was reading...

John