Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car alarm going off randomly and lights randomly coming on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56
Car alarm going off randomly and lights randomly coming on!

Ive had my car for almost a year now...but the last couple of days its been acting WEIRD...a couple of days ago it was really cold out....kinda windy but not much (im in Tx) Well the car had been fine the entire day sitting out.....at night...around 2 in the morning...the alarm started goign off....i ran outside (thinking someone was trying to break in) and i didnt see anyone...however the doors were unlocked (i always have them unlocked) well i went, locked the doors, turned the alarm back on....went back to sleep...baout 30 minutes later it went off again...i went out there..this time with my dog.....dog was barking like crazy and sniffing everything..but didnt find anyone.....so i turned it on again.......about 10 minutes later it goes off again! This happend two more times....so i turned off the alarm.......about 30 minutse later it went off!!!! Either im going crazy and forgot to turn the alarm off...or my alarm is going crazy.....I was getting pissed off so i went and slept in the living room (where i could see my car) and left the alarm off again.....the rest of the night nothing happend.......however in the morning it went off again....this time i left the alarm off...and for the rest of the morning, afternoon, evening, and night it didnt go off again....well about 2 in the morning the alarm goes off again!!!! Same freakin process over.....again my dog was going crazy...this time i just left the alarm off and it didnt go off ever again...around 5 in the morning...my dad comes in my room and tells me the lights in my car are on. Im like...what the hell?!?!?! I go outside to look...and the map lights (on the rear view mirror) are on...but the main light in the middle of the ceiling isnt on.....kee in mind this is 5 in the morning...its freezing...so im not thinking straight...i go in....and i THINK the switch for the light is off...but i am not totally sure....however i am POSITIVE that they werent on before because when the alarm went off that same night...i stared at my car for like 10 minutes and didnt notice the lights being on. Is this some weird electrical/alarm problem...or is someone messing with my mind? Any suggestions. Oh and by the way....my alarm has been on all day today...and it hasnt gone off.

------------------
http://users.ticnet.com/mult68
1992 Teal Camaro RS
T-Tops
305 TBI V8
Open air element
3" Flowmaster Exhaust System w/Quad Tips
Pretty good sound system
More to come.
Old 09-27-2000, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
It sounds like maybe the map light switch, or wiring in the mirror, or the wiring to the mirror may have an intermittent short. If your alarm system uses a current or voltage sensor to trigger the alarm, the map lights turning on may trigger the alarm. Or if the system uses the factory dome light pin switches in the doors, a short in the map light switch, or wiring in the mirror, or the wiring to the mirror may have set the alarm off. Try disconnecting the plug behind the mirror & see if the intermittent set off problem goes away.

Tim