Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

holley blue fuel pump too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 02:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
holley blue fuel pump too loud?

I have a holley blue fuel pump mounted on the driver's side frame rail where i believe the filter used to go. Now i did install it as directions said and i also put that piece of rubber included in the box between the pump and the frame rail. The pump is so loud that sometimes i will get a headache from it and it also will be louder than my flowmaster exhaust system. Any idea why it is so noticeable? I have heard older holley blue fuel pumps and they weren't as loud as mine....by the way it only has about 2 tanks of gas through it...would time quiet it down any? It makes conversation inside the car very difficult as well.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Was the other quiter pumps you heard also in a 3rd gen? I dislike in-line pumps for this noisy reason.

I believe your pump is louder because of the length from the fuel sock to the pump. You are looking at about 6 feet if you mounted it in the filter location. That's a lot for a hi pressure pump to pull from and so it will work harder and louder. It will not quite down in the future, only get louder.

The only real fix if you want to keep this pump is to make the supply line as short and big as possible. This is best done by welding a sump to the bottom of the tank and upgrading to size of the supply line to 1/2". Move the pump as far to the rear of the car to make the supply line under 2 feet.
The main problem with welding a sump to the tank is the muffler is in the way and you also have to drop the tank. If you drop the tank you might as well put a hi-performance stock replacement pump like the Walbro ($108, 255 LPH) in and be done with it. Sell the in-line pump or use it as a boat anchor.

I am giving you this info as I have direct experance with this problem. i ran and killed 2 in-line pumps before swapping to the Walbro in tank pump. I cannot even hear it really compared to those LOUD in-line pumps.
I didn't have cheap in-line pumps either, one was a Paxtom and the other a Mallory, both the top of the line pumps they offered.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 433 big block
Transmission: jw powerglide 5500 coan stall
Axle/Gears: moser9" 4:11 posi
i'm running the blue pump and it is noisy, butwhen the engine starts the exhaust drowns it out.i did like the previous post and sumped my tank.if you used the rubber mount, i used -8 lines and used rubber clamps on the line- that helped. that pump is designed to push not pull, it should be as far back as you can get it.i've been using the same pump for 3 years now.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
well i don't have the tank sumped but how long could i expect the pump to last if i kept it where it is now? this car is not driven much so i was just curious. If not i'll pull the tank and have it welded in. Just a question where did you mount your muffler then? is it possible to weld one in by the cat more? rather than in back?