Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help: My radiator fan wont turn on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56
Help: My radiator fan wont turn on!

Heres the problem: my car will overheat (way past redline) in traffic or at idle unless I have the AC on. When I turn the AC on, the radiator fan turns on and cools the engine down quickly. Regular driving, there is enough air coming in from the air dam to cool the car down. I didnt want to rely on my AC to cool my car down, so I tried to fix it. I went under the car, and noticed that the connector connected to the fan switch was lose, I pulled it out, and noticed it was completely broken. I went ahead and made sure the wire itself worked, so I put the ignition on, grounded the wire, and the fan turned on.....that means the fan works and the wire leading to the switch works right? I went ahead and replaced the fan switch with a new stock one (wrapping it in teflon tape) and replaced the connector with a new connector from the dealership. Made sure again that my new connection was true by grounding the new wire and it worked....hooked it up to the new switch and locked it in place. Started the car up, let it reach all the way to redline again.......and still the fan didnt kick in......anyone have any ideas as to what else it could be? Thanks

------------------
http://users.ticnet.com/mult68
1992 Teal Camaro RS
T-Tops
305 TBI V8
Open air element
3" Flowmaster Exhaust System w/Quad Tips
Aiwa CD/Mp3 player
10 Disc CD Changer
Rockford Fosgate Speakers
SLP Headers Coming
Dynomax High Flow Cat Coming
More to come.

[This message has been edited by mult68 (edited April 02, 2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 02:52 PM

I would guess the teflon tape is preventing
a ground. I had same problem. Replaced
swith with no tape. Worked fine. Didn't leak.
God bless ya,
Chuck
Old 04-06-2001, 09:58 PM

I did the same exact thing, The teflon will prevent the switch from grounding to the block. Pull the switch and remove the teflon, It should work fine
Old 04-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
If that doesn't work, I have another solution!! Go to your local parts store and pick up an adjustable fan switch....I got mine at AutoZone!! The switch bypasses the stock one and allows you to control what temperature the fan kicks on!! The switch has a metal probe that runs from the switch and you mount it to the radiator using the straps they give you!! Then you hook the two wires from the switch to the power and to the connector where the factory switch is hooked at...just clip the wire from the factory one!! The thing comes with instructions...took me like 15 minutes to hook up!! Anyhow you mount this adjustable switch near the firewall somewhere (mine's on the strut tower) and you turn the **** on the top to adjust it!! You can watch your temp gauge to tell when the fan is kicking on and if you want it to come on sooner then you just adjust the **** again...and keep doin' that until you get it right!! This works especially well if you want to use a 160 thermostat because it'll allow the fan to kick on sooner!! I've had mine hooked up for over 2 years now and with my 160 thermostat my car runs right around 165-170 all the time which is "ideal" for our cars regardless of what other people say!! At 170 degrees the air/emissions stuff starts to work and that's really the only reason to have it run that hot!! If you don't have the air/emissions stuff anymore or didn't have it to begin with then you don't have to worry about it running too cool....there's no such thing!!