Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

That's just not pretty....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's just not pretty....

When driving with my lights on, the light(s) for the high beams and BOTH turn signals will randomly come on and off. When they do, half of the Tachometer dims. Most of the time, the lights will either go on or off when I hit a bump. Sounds like a wire is grounding, right? How do I get to the wires that connect to these bulbs? Is there a way to take out the entire guage cluster? Does the pull **** for the headlights get in the way? Thanks for any help you can give.

Brian

91 RS Camaro Convertible
Old 08-14-2002, 05:13 PM

Sounds like you have a short behind the gauge cluster.
The whole cluster should come out. I'm not sure if it's different on 91's I have an 84.
My problem was in the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster.
Check there, that is probably where your short is.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:55 PM

How do you get this cluster out? I'm having problems because the switch for the lights gets in the way.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
The switch for the lights are not a part of what has to be removed. Look at the instrument cluster, you will see about 10 -12 torx bit screws holding the face plate on. Remove those and the plastic panel, under that is a clear plastic panel that will come off. Down at the bottom inside the hole for the idiot lights, there are two metal cap nuts on studs. One on the left side and on the right, remove the cap nuts and slowly pull the cluster out. It will have two or three wire harnesses hooked to it. disconnect them and it will come out. You will have to tilt the steering wheel all the way down and maybe loosen the bolts under the dash a little bit. Also, as a little side note here, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST before you start this endeavor.