Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help with electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA :)
Engine: duh! 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Stock
Help with electrical problem...

Just trying to get an idea of where to start, I'm assuming it's a bad ground somewhere...While driving, usually I'll hit a bump, I lose my gauge lights, rear lights, brake lights, and the headlight mechanism that raises and lowers the headlights...though the headlights will still work. When I check the fuse it's the 20a tail light fuse thats blown. Again, it's not immediate, but usually when I hit a bump or something. I still have my turn signals, interior lights, and radio lol. Anyways, any hints or ideas of where or what it might be would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys

Geoff
~87 GTA
Old 02-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Formerly - 87 T/A, 87 Bird.
Most likely a bad ground or short, couldn't tell you where without a wiring diagram and the car in front of me.

But basically if you have a short to ground it drops the total circuit resistance, which in turn causes the current flow to increase and thus blow the fuse.

The gauge, rear, brake lights & headlight motors are most likely in a series circuit. The headlights are going to be in parallel so they don't have to rely on the stability of other consumers in the circuit, basically the headlights will work even if everything else doesn't. It's a basic parallel-series circuit.

My friend had a similar problem with his 85 Bird. He let one of his friends hook up a cd player and the dumbass thought a wire was a ground when it was actually not. Only difference is his gauge, rear, brake lights and headlight motor didn't work at all, where you are having an intermittent problem.

Anyways, he took it to a shop and got quoted at like 350 bucks so I fixed it for him instead.

I'd suggest tackling the problem yourself, if you can. Or, if you can afford it, take it to a shop. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: Help with electrical problem...

Originally posted by 87GTAspeeder
Just trying to get an idea of where to start, I'm assuming it's a bad ground somewhere...While driving, usually I'll hit a bump, I lose my gauge lights, rear lights, brake lights, and the headlight mechanism that raises and lowers the headlights...though the headlights will still work. When I check the fuse it's the 20a tail light fuse thats blown. Again, it's not immediate, but usually when I hit a bump or something. I still have my turn signals, interior lights, and radio lol. Anyways, any hints or ideas of where or what it might be would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys

Geoff
~87 GTA
If you blow a fuse it's probably a short caused by a wire chafed somewhere in the harness.