Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

guage pod install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guage pod install question

I just bought a triple guage pod for my Trans Am. what I plan on doing is jumping the power from the first guage to the 2nd guage, then jumping another wire from the 2nd guage to the 3rd guage, this should cut down on the number of wires comming out of the end of the guage pod.hooking things up like this I should only have 3 sender wires, one power wire and one ground wire comming out of the end of the pod by the dash pad. where is the best place to hook these wires up so they come on with the factory guages and what guage wire should I use for the power and ground??????
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 mustang LX
Engine: 5.0-302
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 8.8 w/3.08's with a trac-lock
Re: guage pod install question

Originally posted by transam84
I just bought a triple guage pod for my Trans Am. what I plan on doing is jumping the power from the first guage to the 2nd guage, then jumping another wire from the 2nd guage to the 3rd guage, this should cut down on the number of wires comming out of the end of the guage pod.hooking things up like this I should only have 3 sender wires, one power wire and one ground wire comming out of the end of the pod by the dash pad. where is the best place to hook these wires up so they come on with the factory guages and what guage wire should I use for the power and ground??????
hook the wire for the lights to the wire coming off of the headlight switch
Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Berlinetta
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: BT0D stage 3 w/22oo
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc
Use a 16 to 14 guage wire for the main power, and instead of going terminal to terminal for the power, use splices. For the main power, tie it in to an open slot in your fuse box, you should have at least one unless your car was completly loaded. If that is the case, you can wire in a relay and tie the swiched power for the relay off of your radio or heater fuse, just be sure to pull it from the non fused side, and put another fuse inline to the relay. For ground power, use any of the bolts under the dash that bolt into the firewall directly. Ensure to scrape off the paint or insulation for your ground point. For the dimmer, try the headlamp switch to the dash lights, or you can tie it into the dash lights after the dimmer switch if you want to control the brightness.