Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

How to make fuel gauge read empty when car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: All sold :-(
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: None
How to make fuel gauge read empty when car is off?

With fuel costs being as high as they are, having a gauge showing full is a bad idea when you are parked, makes you a target of fuel theft.
At my apartment I was almost victimized, and only my locking cap (that I just put on the night prior to the attempt) saved my gas.

But I remember that years ago some cars produced during the energy crisis of the late 70's and early 80's had a feature that zeroed out the gas gauge when the car was shut off.
My question is this how can one set up such a feature on our cars, which do not have it.
it must be a simple electronic circuit, does anyone here know how to do something like this?

I know it may not be overly useful, but may act as a deterrent for casual syphoners
Old 08-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: How to make fuel gauge read empty when car is off?

Yes, you could easily make the gauge show Empty by grounding the pink wire on the back of the gauge but that works only when the gauges have power. Once you remove the key from the ignition, you lose power to the gauges and they "do what they please". Our gauges don't stay put when turned off. You could try it anf see if your gauge happens to retain the last reading. If so, you're lucky.

Hope this helps.
Lou