Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

PUSH BUTTON STARTER INSTALL IN TPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 Dana 3:73
PUSH BUTTON STARTER INSTALL IN TPI

Can some one explain how to install a push button starter on a TPI car so that it will start well cold as well as hot. I have one currently that has the relay incorporated into it and need to know if I connect the solonoid trigger wire coming off the push button switch to the heavy gauge yellow wire from the ignition switch on steering coloum will the ecm still see the crank signal that allows it to start good cold. My first attempt I ran the trigger wire thru firewall and direct to the purple wire on starter and it started fine hot but cold it would need to crank forever. Clearly when I went direct to the purple starter wire the crank signal was lost. Please help!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: PUSH BUTTON STARTER INSTALL IN TPI

How did you defeat the steering wheel lock? Did you put a toggle switch in, for the key on position, or what?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 Dana 3:73
Re: PUSH BUTTON STARTER INSTALL IN TPI

i put the key in and turn it to run and need to know if i can just cut the yellow wire off the ignition switch from steering coloum and connect it to the trigger wire from push button if it will pick up crank signal I have manual and it shows that on ignition switch that Ign1 terminal in connected in crank postion as well as run postion and its wire #3 which is the heavy pink wire off ignition switch manual says that the pink wire is crank controlled and unfused and thats what confused me. If u follow the diagram in manual it shows the yellow wire and pink wire meet up at a relay or junction box down the line some where. As experiment i ran a jumper from pink wire to the power feed going into the push button switch and it fired right up cold except when i turned key to off postion the motor still ran until i took pink jumper off the push button pwr feed. Is it possible the pink and yellow should both be connected to the trigger wire off push button? Seemed to me that if this was done that power would still be applied to solonoid after motor fired cause manual says that in ignition switch they are connected both during crank nad run postion. If you have a manual yourself maybe u can look at it and get better idea of what all i trying to say cause i imagine it sound very confusing Thanks tons for your reply your the man!