Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Guage cluster not working....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Guage cluster not working....

My car has been sitting for awhile now (had a bad ecm), finally replace ecm a couple months back, had the car running like new. I didnt have the money to plate it, so it sat in the driveway. I started it every few weeks just to let her run. Got temp tags about 3 months ago just to get an echeck done so i could plate it as soon as i could spare some cash. Car ran great to and from echeck. My brother came home on leave and wanted to drive it, so i said screw it lets take it out w/o plates. Again, car ran great everything worked like new. Just today got plates for it, went to put them on, started the car up and none of my gauges are working. The guages are getting power, the blinker, highbeem light, and dash lights are all working. Also, with the car running both doors closed when i turn on the dashlights the car starts beeping like when you leave the lights on when you shut the car off.

Please help. Everytime something breaks on it i fix it when i have the money and as soon as i buy plates for it something else breaks....... Love the car owned it for 9 years so far, but am very close to just having it crushed and putting the cube in the driveway, cuz it will be no different than the last couple of years.

1986 Trans am 305 tpi

..also i checked the tach wire that plugs into the distributor and its good, also checked all under dash fuses
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Car: '89 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Guage cluster not working....

I know you guys are real stickers when it comes to reviving old threads but I have "searched" and this was all that I could come up with.

I am having the exact same issue as mentioned above... the gauges don't work and there's a beeping sound when the lights are turned on (but the doors are closed)... the under dash fuses are all good, I'll be sure to go looking around for this "tach wire" so I'll see what's up with that...

I fix everything on this car but just about every other weekend something else breaks or stops working, it's a love hate relationship y'know...
Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Did you ever pull the cluster out,if so, make sure its plugged in all the way.If not try pulling it out and see if the plug area is clean and plug it back in.In the mean time i'll check my service manual to see why NO gauges work.
Their is a 10amp fuse used for the gauges,check your fuse box.And check your circuit board for any cracks and oxidation.

Last edited by mantaguy; 04-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 PM

something must've shorted out when I cleared the CEL (paperclip)
I had the car running which I know is a NO-NO but I was in such a rush that I wasn't thinking straight.
The faulty gauge cluster seams to be the only thing that's out to lunch, it's just a matter of troubleshooting what's wrong with it now...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM

my brothers buddy took the dash apart in 5 minutes and then had it all put back together 30 minutes later... it turned out to be a bad ground wire.

he says the wires are a mess in there.
I figure these cars came like that from the factory eh?