Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

interior lights dont turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 camaro z28
Engine: 305
interior lights dont turn off?

hi i recently picked up an 88 camaro z28 and the previous owner had a sunroof installed and they removed the dome light all they did was cut the wires and left them up there anyways all the rest of the interior lights had the bulbs removed except the mirror ones they were unplugged i diddnt realise this untill today (just bought the car wednesday)so i tryed putting bulbs in everything and come to find out why they were removed is because they wont turn off the lights stay lighted even with all doors and everything closed. there is one wire that i belive is a ground unhooked under the dash and there is also a few wires that may be grounds up by where the ac used to be (previous owner removed all lines) they all have ring like terminals on the ends one of these leads to a small black box with a yellow fuse in it i belive it has an 8 on the box? (i can double check that in the morning) and over on the opposite side there is a green? wire near the horn that is cut (speaking of that does a horn have one or two wires? mine dosent work) and theres another wire near the alternator thats cut i can find out the color of that one tomarrow anyways do you guys know what this could possibly be making my lights stay on? i can put bulbs in there cause itll kill my battery and its really dark when trying to look for stuff at night with no lights haha
thanks alot
ray
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: interior lights dont turn off?

The dome light circuit is actuated by grounding switches in the door jambs (white wire). You can check those first. Just remove the kick panel on each side and reach in, they use a single blade terminal.
If disconnecting those doesn't help, I would suspect the cut wiring harness in the roof. If any part of the white wire for the dome light circuit is ground (even accidentaly), the dome lights will come on.
One more option: the light switch dimmer can activate the dome light if turned all the way. Check that one out.

Diagram here: http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...me_hardtop.jpg

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 AM

i diddnt get a chance to check the switches as it rained all day today i dont think the white dome light wires are grounding anywhere because i pulled them down and they still diddnt turn off i will try unpluging the switches tomarrow and see if it helps
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 AM

i checked out the switches today i found that my car was in an accident at one point and time because the panel where the door switch mounts on the pass side was pushed in causing the door sencer to not lully close when the door was shut so all the lights stayed on and also the sencer on the drivers side was bad so what i did for the time being was i took the switch out of the pass side because it wont ever work without rigging somthing and i taped off that wire and then i put that sencer on the drivers side so they turn on when i open the drivers door but not when i open the pass door which is fine with me anyways cause i always drive
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc

Glad you found it!

One thing you could do it glue a spacer on the passenger door right where it touches the switch to take up the play. That way, when you close the door, it actuates the switch and turns off the dome lights.

Lou
Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM

i diddnt think of that ill probably do that thanks