Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights Flickering

My headlights started flickering recently and then shut off. If I drive for 10 to 15 minutes with the lights on, with 15 minutes, the tow headlights will flcker and then go off. The running lights, interior lights intrument lights all remain intact.

Any suggestions what this is and how to solve it.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Headlights Flickering

Your headlight switch is failing. There's a built in circuit breaker, and when it overheats it breaks the circuit. Once it's cooled down they work fine again. You might have a dirty ground or connection in the system that's making it happen, but chances are the metal in the circuit breaker is fatigued from age.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the response. If the running lights, interior, and intrument panel lights are also controlled by the switch, wouldn't they flicker as well? Don't mind replacing the switch, just want to make sure that's the culprit.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Car Is Flicker, But Not A Horse

You said “flicker”, not “turning on and off”.

The circuit breaker in the switch would cause turning on and off.

Does the flickering occur at low RPM only, or all engine speeds?

Happy Racing!

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards

When you see fog or “running” lights on in good weather beware. Low performance driver ahead.

How bout those nitwits too scared to drive without headlights in the daytime and the nitwits that need headlights for a little rain

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Re: Car Is Flicker, But Not A Horse

Originally Posted by NINÅ
You said “flicker”, not “turning on and off”.

The circuit breaker in the switch would cause turning on and off.

Does the flickering occur at low RPM only, or all engine speeds?

Happy Racing!

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards

When you see fog or “running” lights on in good weather beware. Low performance driver ahead.

How bout those nitwits too scared to drive without headlights in the daytime and the nitwits that need headlights for a little rain

Ok, flicker, off and on... in my case, the same thing, then the lights go off untill I turn them off and wait and turn them back on again, then the cycle begins again.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd Jenn Sr.
If the running lights, interior, and intrument panel lights are also controlled by the switch, wouldn't they flicker as well?
No, because there are multiple circuits running through the switch, and the internal breaker is only between the power source and the headlights. The rest of the lights have their own circuits within the switch.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

on my 91 firebird. I am having simular issues. the entire lighting system works off of one power source. that of which I can not find. mine only work because the previous owner made a direct bridge to the fuse box from the battery. otherwise they do not work. interior, headlamps tail lights none of it. so to have their own circuts is in correct in my case as well.
Just so you know I am frustrated with the issue Have gone through the entire harness to try and locate the issue.