Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Want DRL's on your 3rd Gen? (Day Time Running Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 RS, '72 Pro/Street Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, Blown 468ci w/NOS
Transmission: 5 Spd, 2 Spd Powerglide
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 4.88
Want DRL's on your 3rd Gen? (Day Time Running Lights)

I know this is not for everybody,....but for those of you who like to drive with your parking lights on, (or running lights) this is something you might actually like.

As long as I can remember, I've always prefered to drive with my parking lights on. Then when the C5 Vettes came out and had those bright amber DRL's, I knew I wanted not only a black C5 Vette, but also a way of giving my own car that same look. Fortunately I ended up with both!

Anyway, there's a company out there that sells a module which will allow "ANY" car to have DRL's. (regardless of the year, make, or model) I posted a link to their web page down below. Here's a couple pictures of what they look like on.................oh, and pardon the "work in progress" I call my 91 RS.

**EDIT** I removed part of this post because of it going off the main topic. It was intended to promote the DRL option for 3rd gen camaros.

Name:  NewWheels028.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  NewFoglights002.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  NewFoglights021.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  109.3 KB

Ok, the company that sells this module is called: Web Electric Products. Once you click on the link, you'll see on the left side of the page where it says "Daytime Running Lights". Click on that and scroll down to the bottom. It's going to be the Universal DRL1 Kit that you want. The nice thing about it is, it only takes like 30 minutes to install.

Here's the link: http://webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Last edited by Str8upChevy; 04-09-2010 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Didn't entend for topic to go where it did.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Want DRL's on your 3rd Gen? (Day Time Running Lights)

WTF????? Ticketed for having parking lights on during the day? What kinda nonsense is that? I have NEVER heard of any state doing that.

Why would parking lights be illegal? Now that cars come with DRLs, that is effectively the same thing.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen
WTF????? Ticketed for having parking lights on during the day? What kinda nonsense is that? I have NEVER heard of any state doing that.

Why would parking lights be illegal? Now that cars come with DRLs, that is effectively the same thing.
Come to Oregon and you might get a ticket for driving with you parking lights on! I personally think it's BS myself, and I agree that it doesn't make sence, but that's what happened to me here.

It's not like I made it up,...read what it says in this article; http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-parking-lights.htm

Last edited by Str8upChevy; 04-09-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

I live in Oregon. Neither I, nor anyone I know has been hassled with that nonsense. I always drive with my running lights on.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by DBLTKE
I live in Oregon. Neither I, nor anyone I know has been hassled with that nonsense. I always drive with my running lights on.
Look, I'm not saying that every single cop in Oregon (or anywhere else for that matter) is going to inforce this. I'm simply stating that "I PERSONALLY" was pulled over for it. Did you read that article I left a link to? It specifically states that in some areas of this country, it is in fact illegal to drive with your parking lights on at any time of the day.

Do I think it's a stupid law? Absolutely one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of. That's not the point though. Did anyone happen to notice in my pictures that I don't have a front license plate? Ok, the very cop that pulled me over for for my "so-called" parking lights didn't say one thing about me not having a front plate. You know why? Because not every cop out there enforces the same things. In the 28 years I've been driving, that was the first time I've ever been pulled over for this stupid *** law.

Here's another example of what I'm talking about.......Look at my '72 Z28 pictured below. I've lived here in Oregon for over 3 years now and I've NEVER been pulled over in this car. Now, after living in Seattle for 40 years and knowing the way the cops are up there, I'd be willing to bet anyone the title to this car, that I'd get pulled over inside of 2 days for obstructed vision if I drove it up there to visit my old friends.

Here's the thing though,.....that's not why I started this thread. I thought that maybe somebody else here might like to have this DRL option on their car. (That's it) So, before this happens to take over the thread, I'm going to delete the whole ticket/law subject.

Name:  72ProStreetindriveway040.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  122.8 KB

Last edited by Str8upChevy; 04-09-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Mine came with them, but here it's been the law since the early 90's.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Axle/Gears: 3.23

if you want drls instead of buying a kit you could just run your hot wire to a "key on" power source. like your radio or something. that way when you turn on your ignition your lights come on to. if you wanted to make them turn off you could run it to a toggle or something under the dash.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I actually want to use my parking lights & my fog lights as DRLs. In fact, I do.

I always just flip my parking lights on, after I start the car. Automatic DRLs would save me the hassle of flipping my switch. It just hasn't bothered me enough to get in to my dash & rewire it yet.

Do you have another way to do this, other than rewiring the switch as key on=power to the lights?

Being a Firebird owner, I don't want my headlights to pop up during the day, to use as the DRLs, but use my fog lights instead. For Camaro owners the headlights would be OK to use.

BTW...I read your link, but don't trust it 100%. I know I do it in Texas & have done it in Louisiana. Just 2 states I have experience with, but until I read it on an official DMV site for a state, I'll remain skeptical.

Could also be an old law that nobody enforces, except when the occifer is having a crappy day or needs a reason to pull a car over because he suspects it of something else.

BTW...Is your 72 Satin Black? That thing is SWEET! And yeah.....Obstruction of Vision

Last edited by Stephen; 04-09-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350 LSX
Engine: 5.3, 234/228 cam
Transmission: Stage II 4L60e, Vigilante 3200
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Nifty! I always drive with my parking lights on, for one, in dark lit conditions during the day I feel that it is just an extra measure of safety to make sure people see me. Also, it makes firebirds look like they are alive and ready to eat some one.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

free if you have a relay and some wire, maybe some diodes. run a relay to keyed power and have the outputs go to the brown wire in the headlight switch for parking lights. got fogs too? then just add to the output with a diode to separate the circuits and you got parking/fogs on with the key.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

Yeah, but DRL's run the parking lights with both filaments lit, not just one like our stock headlight switch does when you turn them on.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen
I actually want to use my parking lights & my fog lights as DRLs. In fact, I do. Do you have another way to do this, other than rewiring the switch as key on=power to the lights?
This module would make your turn signal into DRLS. You don't have to touch your ignition or even get into your car. It simply ties into your existing turn signal harness.

BTW...I read your link, but don't trust it 100%. I know I do it in Texas & have done it in Louisiana. Just 2 states I have experience with, but until I read it on an official DMV site for a state, I'll remain skeptical.
Sorry, can't help you there. I'd be willing to bet you it's there though!!!

Could also be an old law that nobody enforces, except when the occifer is having a crappy day or needs a reason to pull a car over because he suspects it of something else.
I agree completely. You know cops these days, they look for a reason to pull anybody over.

BTW...Is your 72 Satin Black? That thing is SWEET! And yeah.....Obstruction of Vision
Yep, it's Satin Black. Thanks!!! Yes, I definitely have to be cautious when I drive it on the street!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350ci "fastburn 385"
Transmission: T56 / Quartermaster clutch
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.11, Auburn Posi

I know this is an old thread, but I ran across this and thought it was pretty cool. For $39 you get a true DRL style operation for an old ride. Should look good with the nice clear park lights I put on there too.

Strangely enough, the company is in business yet, and I just ordered one. DRL-1 as was mentioned previously.