Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

need help with fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
need help with fog lights

my fog lights do not work at all. im not sure if its the fuse or bulb itself or maby even the wiring but i do notice there is no fuse in my car for the slot INST LPS. im not sure what that is, im guessing it is the fog lights but not sure. also If it is i have no idea what fuse to buy for it.

Any help would be awsome, thanks

and one more thing, for some reason they seem all moved and not allingn at all.

1988 Trans Am TBI
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock
Re: need help with fog lights

The best thing to do is look at the electrical help section of this forum or get a good repair manual to help you.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: need help with fog lights

Try replacing the bulbs first, then the fuse, then look for other stuff like switches and wiring. If you don't know what bulbs or fuses to use, start by taking a single bulb out and looking for the obvious - Is the filament good or broken? If its good, clean the contact surfaces (this location is notorious for corrosion problems). Use some contact grease and reinstall it. If it works, do the same thing to the other side.

If it is the bulb, any parts store should be able to match it up if you take the broken one to them for comparison. Get two, coat contacts with contact grease and put them in.

Still not working? Move on to the fuse. Drop the panel and look for any marking like DRV LTS, FOG LTS, etc. Pull the fuse and see if it is blown. If it is - replace it. If you are not sure which fuse to pull, start at one side and pull each one, inspect it, and replace any that are blown with the same value. On my 91, the fog lights are on fuse #22 (30 AMP) but yours may be different. Mine is the fuse in the lower right corner of the fusebox when it is in the lowered position.

If your lights still are not working, then follow EWARDGP's advice and dig into the connections/ switches/ harnessing with the help of a manual and meter. Remember, look for simple stuff before pulling out any wiring and check all connections for a tight fit with no corrosion. Good luck.