Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Ignition Switch Bad or Clutch Safety Switch Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch Bad or Clutch Safety Switch Bad?

The other day when I went to start my 1985 Z28, I pressed in the clutch and turned the ignition like I always do. All of the dash lights came on, as well as my radio, and I could hear the quiet clicking as always, but the car would not start. I had to use two hands to turn my ignition switch farther than I normally have to in order for it to start. I had to start my car like this a few times that day.

The next day, when I went to start my car, it acted the same. The dash lights and the radio came on, and I could hear the clicking, but no matter how hard I turned the ignition switch, the engine would not start.

My first thought was that the issue was with the ignition switch, as I had to turn it farther those few times to get it to start before it quit altogether. But upon doing some reading, I started to wonder if it could instead be the Clutch Safety Switch that is preventing my car from starting. Because my dash lights up and my radio comes on, I wondered if maybe the clutch switch was to blame. I've never seemed to have any issues with the clutch in the past, but I guess it could still be at fault.

Just trying to find out which part needs to be replaced so that I can buy the right one off the bat. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Ignition Switch Bad or Clutch Safety Switch Bad?

I'd have to say turning the ignition switch with 2 hands does'nt sound good, lol.
have you tried spraying some lubricant in the key hole, like wd-40? it might help?

i doubt its your clutch switch. but IIRC, you can unplug it, and jump the wires with a paperclip if you think it's suspect.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Ignition Switch Bad or Clutch Safety Switch Bad?

From the symptoms, it sounds like the ignition switch is out of adjustment.