Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

thermal fan switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS 5-speed
Engine: 305 TBI
thermal fan switch wiring

Hi everybody, I'm having a weird problem that I'm hoping somebody could help me with. I have s 90 RS 305 with a single electric fan and everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. My Fan wouldn't come on. I checked the relay and the fan comes on with the A/C but didn't come on when it got to temperature. on further investigation I saw there was a green wire coming off the fan that the previous owner grounded to plastic, so I grounded that to metal hoping that would solve the problem, but no luck. I saw the female end on the thermal fan switch was kind of melted so I replaced that and let the car get up to temperature but the fan near came on. However I noticed the green wire which I previously grounded was now totally burnt and destroyed? Im not really sure what to do at this point any any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jordan
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: thermal fan switch wiring

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...t-cooling.html
Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: thermal fan switch wiring

Fan running with AC on says your relay is good. Skinny green with white stripe wire goes from fan switch to the relay and activates the fan by grounding that wire. If you ground that wire with the key on and the fan goes on, but doesn't when connected to the fan switch, the switch is at fault. The switch won't turn the fan on til around 230 degrees, so make sure you give it a chance. And check temps on the thermostat housing with an infrared if you can. The temp gauge is not always real accurate