Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

92 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Hello,

I am new to the board, so pardon me if this is not posted in the correct spot...

Anyhow, I picked up a 92 Firebird that has the 3.1 V6. I will say, first off, that it has an elaborate "Clifford Arrow" alarm system on it, that nobody knows this history of... That being said, the car won't start. It will turn over, it has spark, and will start on ether. I have 43psi fuel pressure at the test port. I have a steady 12+ on each of the + legs at the injector harness. I have no ground on the ground pins at any time (cranking or not).

The check engine light illuminates solid when the key is turned, and the security light illuminates briefly and goes out (I understand that this is normal for both lights).

I have never owned one of these cars before. It was kind of an impulse buy, I just thought it looked cool and the price was right for a winter tinker-project.

I replaced the ignition module just to eliminate it as a possibility. After reading on this forum, I saw that many people had their problems fixed with it. No such luck for me, lol.

Anyhow, I am going to try to remove the alarm. But in the mean time, can anyone provide a diagram of the injector pulse, or anything that might help me find where the signal dies between the ICM > ECM > Injectors?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 92 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Welcome to TGO .

I don't happen to have a 1992 wiring diagram but I do have a 1991 V6 diagram . If your lucky the wiring didn't change too much between 91 and 92 and maybe this will help .
Attached Thumbnails 92 V6 Injector Pulse Question-fig52_1991_3_1l_engine_wiring.gif  
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73

You can get a reman distributor from the parts store, plug it in turn the key on and spin it with your fingers and see if the pulse is there. You might need to touch the body of it to something metal that's grounded. If you get no pulse put it in the box and get your money back.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the diagram and the distributor tip. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on it again this week.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM

Well, I using the diagram, I had good power on the orange wire. I had signal on the distributor wires. And I still had no output on the fuel injector wires. So I popped for a used ECM from thirgenranch. I got it today, put it in, and it runs!

Thanks for your help guys.