Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

86 trans am firebird head light problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans AM WS6
Engine: 383 Vortec TPI, PUTS SMILES ON FACE
Transmission: PATC LVL 3 Raptor Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 POSI 9 BOLT
86 trans am firebird head light problem. Please help.

Ok so my driver side headlight motor quite working. So i sent it off to get it rebuilt... i got it back but it willonly go down and not up... even when its out of the car it only spins one way one way (spins down) and when i turn them on it doesnt goe up...any idea what is going on?

the passenger side motor works fine.. just issues with the driver side

Last edited by happyhapka; 03-02-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 86 trans am firebird head light problem. Please help.

Originally Posted by happyhapka
Ok so my driver side headlight motor quite working. So i sent it off to get it rebuilt... i got it back but it willonly go down and not up... even when its out of the car it only spins one way one way (spins down) and when i turn them on it doesnt goe up...any idea what is going on?

the passenger side motor works fine.. just issues with the driver side
Looking at the wiring diagram for 1986 I see your car has the older , relay equipped system rather than the later system that uses an electronic control module in place of the relays . You system has an "Isolation relay" , two "actuator relays" , and two "actuator switches" . The relays function in a standard "reversing switch" configuration to lift and close the doors , with their end travel controlled by the actuator switches .

How to troubleshoot ? Well , if you have limited electrical/electronic experience the best things to do are to check the easy stuff first . Since one side does travel both directions correctly you could try swapping the two actuator relays to see if the problem changes sides . If it does , then that actuator relay is bad . If the problem stays on the same side with the actuator relays swapped then more troubleshooting will be required but hopefully we get lucky and the problem does change sides meaning a new relay will solve the issue .

So swap those two relays and then post up your results .
Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Looking at the wiring diagram for 1986 I see your car has the older , relay equipped system rather than the later system that uses an electronic control module in place of the relays . You system has an "Isolation relay" , two "actuator relays" , and two "actuator switches" . The relays function in a standard "reversing switch" configuration to lift and close the doors , with their end travel controlled by the actuator switches .

How to troubleshoot ? Well , if you have limited electrical/electronic experience the best things to do are to check the easy stuff first . Since one side does travel both directions correctly you could try swapping the two actuator relays to see if the problem changes sides . If it does , then that actuator relay is bad . If the problem stays on the same side with the actuator relays swapped then more troubleshooting will be required but hopefully we get lucky and the problem does change sides meaning a new relay will solve the issue .

So swap those two relays and then post up your results .

awsome thanks... were are the relays located?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by happyhapka
awsome thanks... were are the relays located?
That's a darned good question that I do not have a solid answer to , because my 1989 bird has the electronic module instead of the relays so I can't lift my hood to check . If I were forced to offer a guess I'd look in the general area of the headlights themselves and maybe follow the harnesses where they come from the headlight motors to see if they are nearby .
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 PM

Ok so there are 2 relay.. one in front of the battery and on the passenger side next to the coolant resivour i replaced the driver side on and my problem was solved.... thank you very much for your help.... i love this forum.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Gotta love a happy ending , I'm glad I could help .