Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Possible to remove wiring harness without lifting car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 Automagic
Axle/Gears: No clue
Possible to remove wiring harness without lifting car?

As the title suggests, is this at all possible? I replaced my intake gaskets that were leaking oil all over the place and the wires going behind the engine are soaked...I want to remove the harness and clean it up and rewrap it before putting everything back together. I have everything unhook except a wire that appears to be going to the transmission and another going to what I assume is the starter. I don't really have a way to lift the car up without using those damn ramps!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Possible to remove wiring harness without lifting car?

The harness drops down to the trans like you suspect, should be able to shimmy under and unplug it on the pass side, but you might run into the harness being clipped or anchored to the block near the trans dipstick. There also are brackets on the bellhousing bolts on some thirdgens. The wires to the starter can be reached from the top. Just use a few extensions and you can usually get them from in front of the accessory drive. Again, the catch will be unexpected anchor clips.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 (305)
Transmission: 700R4

Ok thank you I will check it all
Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 PM

You might want to consider wrapping distributor with a garbage plastic bag and take it to a spray car wash and wash the harness off there first to get surface oil off.it may be enough unless repairs/splices/etc. are needed.Whoops................. reread and saw you have it all disconnected. Oh well.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Yea I'm gonna have to check my grounds and stuff
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM

Another tip (which I have done) is extend starter harness fuse link wires up to battery positive post area and connect to battery positive post. The only wires then needed at starter are battery cable and solenoid wire.The fuse link wires(I believe 2 on my 84 Z) are now in a better serviceable location away from corrosion area at starter.My wires came from upper harness and only needed short extensions.I used my old fuse links(connected to battery positive at starter) and only costs were butt splices and tape.Can't see the logic of GM putting them on starter other than saving a few feet of wire.Saves a lot of crawling or reaching when you have an electrical issue. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Thank you I really appricate all the help