Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Do later 3rd gens need tps and iac adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do later 3rd gens need tps and iac adjusted?

I've seen very conflicting reports online, even on here...

apparently on older 3rd gens the TPS had wide screw holes you could turn to adjust it and follow some procedure, yet, on mine it's just straight up regular screw holes, so TPS is out of the picture I assume for my 92 305tbi....

the IAC is a concern to me though, it's a new higher end BWD one and I have no check engine codes, but when I start the car up it idles a bit low sometimes and acts like it's going to die unless I give it some gas and hold it at ~1k rpm for a few secs to let it "warm up" then it'll idle much better and doesn't sound like it's going to die...

I heard of having to do this on old carb vehicles, but this is fuel injected...since the TPS didn't need adjusting would the IAC on a 92 need adjusting? I measured it and in the instruction papers it said to make sure the plunger wasn't out more than 28mm and it wasn't, they claimed it could cause damage if it was out longer than that. But I was ok on the length....I'm just wondering if I messed something up or missed something since I've seen people saying one way or the other online

the low idling problem does really sound like something with the IAC though. Or possibly timing.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Do later 3rd gens need tps and iac adjusted?

Try this. The newer TPS' are not adjustable. BUT, you need to set the IAC/ Idle. Follow this thread.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-question.html
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do later 3rd gens need tps and iac adjusted?

Thanks I'll do those steps, doesn't seem too hard