Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electronic push button ac control issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Electronic push button ac control issue

I am considering buying a 1988 Trans Am that has the digital dash with the electronic pushbutton air conditioning control unit. There is a problem with the AC pushbutton unit, when turned in the ac compressor will work fine for a little bit,then the clutch will cycle on and off literally every second, then it will be fine for a few minutes, and then cycle on and off every second rapidly again. the fan inside will shut off and restart too. once shut off the fan will come on and off on its own and you have to keep pushing the off button to shut it off. The led under the off button will stay lit indicating that it's off, however the fan will just come on and you have to push the off button to shut it off again.It will then usually come back on a few seconds. Does this sound like it is an issue with the electronic control? If so who rebuilds these or is there a source to buy a re-built one? I am concerned about buying the car and being saddled with lots of electrical nightmares. Are these digital dash cars reliable

Last edited by JimRockford; 03-24-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Electronic push button ac control issue

Sounds more like it needs refrigerant.

The reason is needs more, is because it's low.

The reason it's low, is because it all leaked out.

The reason it all leaked out, is because ... it leaks.

It most likely needs the rubber lines and a compressor. Both of those things are notorious for developing leaks.

Not a digital dash problem in any case.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Electronic push button ac control issue

Yes,it is indeed a problem with the control panel. I guess you skimmed the post,didn't see the part where I stated the fan keeps turning on when the OFF button is depressed and the OFF light is on?
I am aware that there is a sensor that will prevent the clutch from engaging on the compressor if the Freon is low. That isn't the case here, the compressor is a rebuilt one that was just installed, the hoses are new and it was just charged with refrigerant by a shop. It was leak tested with an electronic freon sniffer and it had no leaks. I have seen the receipts and the owner watched them test it for leaks. The ac also gets ice cold in 60 seconds or so.
what is happening is that when you turn the AC on it doesn't stay on,the fan inside the car turns off and on by itself and I believe it is also turning the compressor on and off. It is intermittent. The compressor won't cause the blower inside the car to turn on and off on its own.
When I press the off button and the off light is on,10 seconds later the blower will turn back on again without being pressed. It did this all through my test drive. The owner claimed they had this issue before and the mechanic claimed they repaired it and that the problem was in the control panel. I was asking if anybody here has any advice on repairing it or if they have a digital dash car have they had that issue before

Last edited by JimRockford; 03-24-2017 at 08:30 PM.