Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Gauges reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges reset

I know there are threads about gauge cluster but couldnt find exact info. I swapped gauge clusters both electronic speedo and rpms work fine. Question is do all the others reset themselves when you turn the car off and on?? It se.ems like they all move except the gas gauge but they all run high. For example the battery when the car is off rests at 12 but turn it on it shoots up high. I have the old cluster and can put it in but i am not sure if its accurate either. Any help or suggestions??
Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Gauges reset

It se.ems like they all move except the gas gauge but they all run high. For example the battery when the car is off rests at 12 but turn it on it shoots up high.
Totally normal for the VOLTS gauge,...... check the battery with a volt meter before & after starting to verify the dash gauge reading. I'd fill the tank and see how high - or how far past the "FULL" mark - the Fuel Gauge needle goes. It REALLY sucks when the fuel gauge reading 1/8th of a tank and then the tank runs dry !

** MY Z28 fuel gauge did that to me about a month ago, DON'T let it happen to you !!