Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

overcharging alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overcharging alternator

Hey guys, 86 305 tpi TA. Start it tonight and tach is bouncing all over,dome light is flickering, check engine light comes on. Notice volt gauge is a little high, give a little gas and gauge pegs 18 volts! rev again and everything falls to normal. turn off and try again same thing, verify with volt meter off back of alt. goes to 18. When I moved the positive battery cable a little it went to normal running again, just a fluke? I thought it was usually the volt reg in the alt. anyone have this before??? Not the greatest cables was going to change them anyhow. still think bad alt. Any help appreciated thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: overcharging alternator

When I moved the positive battery cable a little it went to normal
Ya think there might be A CLUE in there somewhere???

Check that cable REAL CAREFULLY at the ends for corrosion, bad connections, loose hardware, corrosion, old age, bad connections, corrosion, and so forth. Oh... and don't forget to look for corrosion, at the batt end especially.

Moving the cable didn't change anything about the alt. If the alt works right occasionally when the cable is doing its job occasionally, it'll do its job ALL THE TIME when ... the cable is doing its job ALL THE TIME.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

The fact that you could move the cable around screams bad connection. Do what sofa advised and make it all clean and tight
Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

understand, I am deff. checking the cables for issues. I could turn it a little if I tried to see if it was tight. I just wouldn't think it would make the alt. spike like that. But I know the above conditions you listed can do strange things to electrical items. Thanks guys