Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wire pigtails behind the knee panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wire pigtails behind the knee panel

when I pulled the knee panel on the passenger side I saw three pigtails with nothing attached to them.

Anyone know what they are for?

TIA,

-Mark

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Re: wire pigtails behind the knee panel

The only things I can recall offhand located in that area are, the rear window defrost timer relay, power antenna relay and cruise control module.
The car, most likely, has wiring for options that were not added.
My 87, despite being a Formula and 5 speed, had the wiring for a auto shifter neutral safety switch and fog lights.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I was thinking something along those lines. Cheaper to make one harness and not use everything than making multiple harnesses.
Power antenna, cool. Gotta get me one of those. lol.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The one on the left is for the cruise control. The one on the right would be the hatch release relay.

It varies from year to year, and model to model, but nearly all thirdgens have a few connectors for options they don't have. Sometimes all the wiring is there, other times there will be a sub-harness required to add a missing option. For example, adding the hatch release is usually just a matter of bolting on the solenoid, and plugging in the relay and switch. But adding cruise control usually requires all the hardware and a couple harnesses. Another example is 5spd vs auto wiring. Some cars have wiring for both, while others don't. Like the 91 TBI dash harness has connectors for the clutch pedal switch, etc while the 3.1L V6, and TPI cars don't.