Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

No start, car loses power when under load

Old 06-05-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
No start, car loses power when under load

so my 91 z28 won't turn over... I can turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump will prime, radio will come on and all of the gauges will do there thing. When I go to turn the car over it clicks a few times and dies. Cycle the key off and back on it'll do the same thing, dash lights, radio etc. As soon as I pull the **** to turn on the head lights it loses all power. I can leave the key in the on position after it dies from the headlights killing it and if I turn them off I get power back, without cycling the key. Turn signals and brake lights work, along with the wipers. If I turn the ac/heater on high it'll die also. But if I slowly turn it up one level at a time it'll stay on. I just had the battery tested today and charged and it all came back positive. Any input on what it could be? I'm stumped. I really don't want to drop 230 bucks on another stupid Optima battery. I would just buy a normal one but my cables are set up to plug into the side post on an optima... thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 HSR afr195 xfi268
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Re: No start, car loses power when under load

Try testing voltage on starter s terminal when cranking and see if getting enough power since it's just clicking ....if not apply 12 volts directly to starter s terminal see if it starts
Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

If battery tested good I wouldn't replace it. I would be checking connections at the battery (clean and tight) Then moving towards the ground straps from the chassis to the engine. And then the connection at the starter itself, the main power junction is on the starter terminal.

If it is still doing it then you're gonna want to do a voltage drop test, you'll need an assistant to turn the key in the crank position (or wire in a remote start button) while you observe with the multimeter.

Here's a good video on voltage drop test procedure.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mcgarnicle
If battery tested good I wouldn't replace it. I would be checking connections at the battery (clean and tight) Then moving towards the ground straps from the chassis to the engine. And then the connection at the starter itself, the main power junction is on the starter terminal.

If it is still doing it then you're gonna want to do a voltage drop test, you'll need an assistant to turn the key in the crank position (or wire in a remote start button) while you observe with the multimeter.

Here's a good video on voltage drop test procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXENKujYtc
thank you, battery connections are clean and tight for sure. I'll move into the ground straps next, and then run the process of elimination.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Some of these places that claim to test a battery.... I question their tester. To totally rule out the battery just wire another battery in series with a pair of jumper cables. If you still have the same symptoms then you know it is not the battery. You can find out if it's the wiring by taking another battery and hooking it up to the block (as a ground) via any 3/8 or larger bolt and starter's solenoid. If it still does not start then you know it's not the wiring in the car. Your only culprit is the starter/solenoid assembly.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
Some of these places that claim to test a battery.... I question their tester. To totally rule out the battery just wire another battery in series with a pair of jumper cables. If you still have the same symptoms then you know it is not the battery. You can find out if it's the wiring by taking another battery and hooking it up to the block (as a ground) via any 3/8 or larger bolt and starter's solenoid. If it still does not start then you know it's not the wiring in the car. Your only culprit is the starter/solenoid assembly.
pretty sure it's a ground issue somewhere or the starter/solenoid. The starter is clicking pretty loud, it just sounds like it's not engaging the flex plate. It just sucks right now because I've got a broken foot so it's kinda hard to jack the car up and crawl around to get to the starter to inspect everything.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
pretty sure it's a ground issue somewhere or the starter/solenoid. The starter is clicking pretty loud, it just sounds like it's not engaging the flex plate. It just sucks right now because I've got a broken foot so it's kinda hard to jack the car up and crawl around to get to the starter to inspect everything.

Search this Thread