Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fix spastic wipers in a '92

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Fix spastic wipers in a '92

A week or so ago got caught in a short rain fall. Wipers did not want to operate properly. They would start & stop at random places, wouldn't park when turned off (rain was over). Basically they were all over the place. Even the pulse/delay wasn't working correctly. I did manage to get them to stop and park by keying off for about 10 seconds.

They parked with the key back on.

So looked for a new wiper cover, NLA. No where to be found. Not even rebuilt units. Note that the '92 cover doesn't have the washer pump in it. That is on the washer fluid tank.

So pulled the cover to see if I could do something with it. The pic that has the three blue circles and red arrow is the wiper without the cover. To remove it unplug the electrical connector, then remove the three screws circled in blue (I put them back in place so I didn't lose them).

Note that the red arrow points to the drive pin, more on that later. It is currently in the park position.

Picture shows the inside of the cover, note how the black semi-disc is marked for the location of the drive pin. This is a must when reassembling, otherwise that plastic piece gets broken.

The red arrow points to the internal tooth retaining clip. Carefully pry each point up a little to release the clip.

Next pic shows the other side of the board (removed from cover). Ah, electrolytic capacitors (4), they really do like to fail over time. Sure enough next pic shows one with brown goo at the legs. That is the electrolyte that has spewed from the inside of the cap, it's bad. Note the legs of the other caps, no goop.

Removing the cap really shows that it let out, all that should be seen is the black rubber seal. Not so.

Replaced that capacitor with a 220 uf but at 16 V (not 10 V as is the stock one).

Carefully flattened the lifted star teeth a little of the retaining clip and reassembled the board into the cover. Replaced cover onto wiper motor being sure to set the semi-disk where the drive pin is supposed to go. Sure enough works like it should. When testing it is best to wet the windshield down with water to reduce the load on the wiper motor and linkage.

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails Fix spastic wipers in a '92-camaro_wiper_2551a.jpg   Fix spastic wipers in a '92-camaro_wiper_2553a.jpg   Fix spastic wipers in a '92-camaro_wiper_2559a.jpg   Fix spastic wipers in a '92-camaro_wiper_2560a.jpg   Fix spastic wipers in a '92-camaro_wiper_2563a.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
hrbay (03-03-2020)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Fix spastic wipers in a '92

Wow, nice work! I never could have figured that out by myself and hopefully never will have the need. But thanks to fine folks like you I may just stand a chance if it happens to me. Thanks for sharing!!
Henry
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

You're welcome, I figured it might help someone else as our only option is to repair it. I was glad it was an easy fix as the relay and the other white box (K1) are also NLA. I couldn't find either of them anywhere.

RBob.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92’ RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto

I realize that this thread is a few years old, but I wanted to say that I used this thread to repair my board in my 92’ and it works perfect. Appreciate the write up and the detailed information.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the same gauntlet for this "was a common part" auto part.
Rebuild guitar amps for fun so if I can spring that little washer off I'm in.
Thanks for your Marine spirit, you improvised and overcame. Hope 4 a like result.
But at some point we will have to overcome the part scarcity with a repro.
board by reverse engineering it or find a late model alternative that's usable
and still available. They crushed thousands of these in the rush to crush the
old cars back in the early 2000's. All a ploy to help stimulate the auto industry
I'm guessing.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RBob, your hack worked, I have wipers that go through the gears and stop,
but now the washer somehow got disabled, it worked before but I could not turn
the motor off. Might be in the harness connections, I am fine with working wipers.
It was the same leaky lytic that you had, a 10v 220uf. Spent 3-4 days online trying
to find the cover and zip. Glad you posted this jewel.
Good stuff, thanks, George