Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Intermittent pop-up headlights issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird KITT Replica
Engine: 305 TBI L03
Transmission: 700R4
Intermittent pop-up headlights issue

Hey all. I've got an '89 Formula, converted to a KITT replica. Everything works great, however I'm having some issues with the headlights.

When using the headlight switch, it turns on the interior lights, side markers etc (even the actual headlights turn on), however the pop-up function only works maybe 25% of the time. If I switch it on and off maybe 50 times, they'll eventually pop-up. The motors are brand new and put in by the previous owner.

Judging by a few other similar threads, do you think its the switch, or control module?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: Intermittent pop-up headlights issue

Honestly, it sounds like the bushings in the gear housing need to be replaced. I would pull one off and look in there and see what they look like. BUT if you feel that is not right, it is most likely the module since there really ins't anything in the switch to fail. I looked in there recently and the contacts are huge, and if all the lights come on, the switch is working. The module sees 12VDC from the running lights and from the headlights, you can put the lights on and check the, I believe it was, brown and yellow wires on the headlight module. Mine is a 92, so the colors may be different on yours
Old 08-16-2017, 12:17 PM

I ordered a new switch just to be safe, only $15. The motors are brand new, so that shouldnt be the problem, but I'll try to turn on the lights and see if I hear the motors struggling or something. Just seems like theyre not getting power to flip up.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by JonnyThrice
I ordered a new switch just to be safe, only $15. The motors are brand new, so that shouldnt be the problem, but I'll try to turn on the lights and see if I hear the motors struggling or something. Just seems like theyre not getting power to flip up.
You said the headlights are coming on with the side lights, so the switch is working properly. The wiring splits and goes to the module after that. So the module is not getting power or not seeing voltage from the other lights. I'd stick with the OEM switch instead of a replacement Chinese one
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM

So the switch came in (AC Delco part from RockAuto), popped it in and BOOM, works like a charm!

I figured I'd start with the easiest and cheapest part of the chain first, then move down the line. Thankfully, this worked!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

If the issue comes back, take a hard look at the headlight control module.