Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Starter wont STOP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter wont STOP!!!

Fixing an 89 iroc z 5.0 for my friends husband, as a surprise from when he gets back from deployment. The only thing I know about the car is that it wouldn't start/ had some battery drainage issue. He replaced the battery, starter, and alternator. I got to looking, and he had the ignition wire to the starter on the wrong post(the R post for coil power). Moved it to the S post, and the car started right up. Only problem is the starter keeps engaging...Even after you take the key out, it's still cranking on the flexplate.

For troubleshooting, I decided to check ignition wire first. I disconnected power from the starter, and put a Voltmeter lead on the ignition wire( that goes to S post). Turned the key to start, 12V, back to run, 0V. All looked well there, so I looked to the starter. Got it tested at O'reilley's and it was fine. Read some forums, and figured it could be that the pinion wasn't retracting due to clearance problems, keeping the starting circuit engaged. Installed a sh*t ton of shims, but the problem still exists.

So back to wiring, decided to monitor the S post on the starter while it was hooked up/ energized. Key to start, 12V, engine starts. Release key to run, starter keeps running and Voltmeter reads 9, 8, then 7V constant. Thats not right! Why would the ignition read differently on the first tests when it wasn't actually engaging the starter, than it is now?

I'm assuming now that the problem actually is the ignition. Am I thinking along the right lines? Is there any remote possibility that it really is the starter? Where/ how should I begin testing the ignition, because I cant keep the starter constantly starting to recreate the issue- for fear of burning it out/draining battery.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Starter To Stop The Problem

Originally Posted by headhunter
Is there any remote possibility that it really is the starter?
Very low chance due to you having it tested and trying different shim spacing.

You might have a bad ignition switch.

To find out, disconnect the wire at the
10 AWG yellow wire coming out of the
ignition switch.

Now start the engine by using a jumper wire from the
10 AWG yellow wire to the battery.

If the starter motor no longer fails to turn off you will know you have a bad ignition switch.

Happy Racing !

If Your Engine Blows Up Over The 1,000’ Mark You’ll Know It Was Built Perfectly
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Re: Starter wont STOP!!!

Update:
Finally got around to continue troubleshooting, and I found the problem completely by accident. I planned to simplify troubleshooting and bypass the entire ignition/enable system by running a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid start post. while making final measurements, the wire accidently made contact with the positive battery terminal(ignition was off, mind you), and the starter cranked... and continued after being startled and ripping the wire completely off . Again, with only the power wire attached to the solenoid, starter is continuing to crank. With that, undisputable evidence that the solenoid is bad and failing to cut power to the starter motor. I immediately ran to the parts store for a new starter, dropped it in, and now works perfectly.

Moral of the story: Don't trust the part store's testing machine to detect all possible issues. Caused me much frustration and unnecessary work.
Happy troubleshooting everyone!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Re: Starter wont STOP!!!

Finally got around to continue troubleshooting, and I found the problem completely by accident. I planned to simplify troubleshooting and bypass the entire ignition/enable system by running a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid start post. while making final measurements, the wire accidently made contact with the positive battery terminal(ignition was off, mind you), and the starter cranked... and continued after me being startled and ripping the wire completely off . To reiterate, with only the power wire attached to the solenoid, starter is continuing to crank. With that, undisputable evidence that the solenoid is bad and failing to cut power to the starter motor. I immediately ran to the parts store for a new starter, dropped it in, and now works perfectly.

Moral of the story: Don't trust the part store's testing machine to detect all possible issues. Caused me much frustration and unnecessary work.
Happy troubleshooting Y'all!
Starting system wiring diagram