Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need pictures of wiper motor wiring harness & location

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Need pictures of wiper motor wiring harness & location

Hello all,

When I built my car a few years ago, the plan was to never drive it in the rain. I removed the wiper motor, stuffed the wires "someplace" and taped them up.

I have since moved and found that I'm much less likely to drive my car now as I'm constantly further from home and worried about being stuck out in the rain. I want to add the wipers back, but it's been so long since I did this I don't remember what I did with the wires. I think I tucked them into the harness that they came out of and just taped them in.

I tried looking for pictures on the internet but I'm having hard time finding one that shows the motor, the wires and where they travel from.

I'm hoping that someone has or can take a couple of pictures of the wiper motor wires that maybe shows generally where they come from so I can start there and see if I can find them. Thanks for any help.

Mike
Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Car: 86 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need pictures of wiper motor wiring harness & location

Here's where mine goes. From motor into wiring harness and harness comes out over by relays.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 664 Likes on 474 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Mike , I have one small bit of advice here ;

You know how folks have the notion that since our cars from 1982 to 1992 are all third gen F bodies , that all the parts are cross compatible across the 82 thru 92 model years ?

Well , with our wiper systems this is especially not true ! You having a 1985 car , I can tell you assuredly that a 1992 wiper motor (for example) will not work electrically with your 1985's wiper wiring . If you have the old wiper motor great , put it back and when you find your stashed harness you'll be all set . But if you did get rid of the old one and have to get a new one , beware of the years , I think there may have actually been 3 different wiper systems over the 10 year model span and none are "plug & play" compatible as the system changed throughout the years .
Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Thanks for the pictures - and the info about the wiper motor. I did not know that, and I can't find my old wiper motor so I'm going to have to get one. Great information!

Thanks again!