Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Resistor and unknown wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resistor and unknown wiring

I have a 1988 iroc 305 tpi. Does anyone know what these two things are and the big red wire coming off it is suppose to connect to. Is it stock or aftermarket. Looks like someone did some hack work under my dash
Old 11-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Resistor and unknown wiring

Looks extremely aftermarket cobbled-together hack job alternate-ethnic-engineering. Aka rat's nest and/or steel wool. (except, copper instead of steel) Time to strip out EVERYTHING that's not factory, and put it back like it came. Or at least as much of what's still there as you can. Then maybe worry about what's missing, if anything, instead of trying to decipher all that sodomy.

I don't see any resistors; only a relay, and a pair of non-factory connectors, besides all that .... wire.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Resistor and unknown wiring

Your best bet to deal with this is going to be to head over to austinthirdgen.org and print out the wiring diagrams you think you'll need. Then buy a label maker, one of the inexpensive Dymo label makers. Once you find out what the factory wires are you can label them, remove the added wires and reconnect the factory wires. The stock Pass key module/VATS system works very well, that is why theft of these cars dropped like a rock in the late 80s and early 90s. If you must have an alarm just buy one of those all in one mini bullhorn alarms that has a motion sensor and blares any time the doors are opened or car is shook. Any added wiring you add in should be carefully documented via a detailed wiring schematic and/or labeled with a label maker.