Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Needle in a hay stack - Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 Speed
Needle in a hay stack - Turn Signal Switch

I need a turn signal switch for my '86 IROC. With Tilt, Without Delay.

I bought one several years ago and it never has worked correctly and I assumed it may just be I didn't get it installed properly. Can't recall what website I ordered it from. And, since I didn't drive the car much, I never worried with fixing it because it's a PITA to replace.

Now, I'm thinking the switch I installed was a bad one. Left turn signal works okay but seems a bit slow and right turn signal works same (a bit slow) when pushing up on the lever. However, when the right turn signal is fully engaged by pushing the lever all the way up until it clicks, the signal light stops blinking and either stays on constantly or not at all.

I installed a new flasher last week and it never changed anything.

So, I'm scouring the interwebs and can't find the one for my app. Mine is a 5 wire, one pink, one purple or brown, one green, one gray, and one white wire; 5 wires total, 5 contacts total. Everything I've found on line are 9 and 10 wire and the connector is about twice as wide as mine.

Any ideas on where to find this needle? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Re: Needle in a hay stack - Turn Signal Switch

I think I'm thinking wrong. I ordered the wiper switch before, not signal switch. That'd be the wiring i indicated above, I think. When I bought the car back, the idiot that bought it from the guy I sold it to between the first time I had it and buying it back installed a wiper switch for a car with delay and the electrical connectors at the bottom of the steering column didn't match up. If I didn't own it previously, I'd have had a heckuva time figuring it out. Just glad he didn't cut the wires and try to splice. Anyhoo, it's coming back to me. I replaced the wrong part with the right part back then, circa 2008, which was the wiper switch and wiring. Signals haven't worked properly since I bought the car back in '08.

So, guess I just need the signal switch and hopefully it shouldn't be a huge deal to find. Just want to make certain I get the correct part. I'm going to tear it out, take pics, then get online and find the correct one and order.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM

Thanks, T.L.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Local Autozone (1/2 hour drive away) had the signal switch, was the first item I asked for when I went there last evening. After getting a few other things, I leave. After getting home, somehow, the main thing I went there for didn't make it into the bag. Checked receipt, wasn't even charged for it. Went ahead took column apart and pulled the upper part of the switch out. Flipped the switch to left, it worked; flipped to right, it worked. Put it all back together, it worked. Everything works. Fog lights, hatch motor, signal lights, horn, blower motor, hvac controls . . . everything on the car now works. BOO YAH! oh, wait, the e-brake. have the parts to fix that so guess it's next on the list. then rear brakes, rear end, several bushings, and put interior back together. like johnny cash said, one piece at a time.