Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help needed with High Beam Switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 92 RS / 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Non-Posi / Posi - Both GU2 - 2.73
Help needed with High Beam Switch wiring

The problem, my low beams work, high beams don't. They all worked at once when the **** was pulled to it's furthest rear position. No lights work at the first position...

So, while I do not recall the complete line of events I do know one day I went to use my headlights and nothing. Being the noob I am, I asked a guy at Autozone and he gave me the number to his mechanic buddy. Called him, he came out, and here's the interesting part... from what I can tell 2 of 3 wires to the switch mounted to the steering column are cut and the 3rd, a green wire remained in tact, again this is from what I can tell. It appears to have been wired to some kind of relay with a wire also running to the back of my fuse block.

So from the back of my fuse block a Red wire has been removed, a wire spliced into said Red wire, reinserted into back of fuse block and the wire spiced in is going to the "Relay"

3 Other wires come out of said relay, 2 of which are connected. As shown in the pic, there's a green wire that's not connected at the relay side. There's also a hanging green ground wire that came disconnected when I removed the bracket needed to lower the column for a gauge cluster matter and have no idea where it's supposed to connect...

Anyone who can make sense of this, your input and suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by 92RS-HeritageEd; 07-17-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Re: Help needed with High Beam Switch wiring

BUMP!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Ed , the best advice I can give you is to use this wiring diagram to put your headlight wiring back to it's factory configuration , and then troubleshoot the circuit from there . From your description it sounds as if the highbeam/lowbeam switch failed and the so called "mechanic" (butcher/hackjob artist) tried to bypass the switch's function by using a relay rather thyan diagnosing and repairing the original fault .

PS , I see a bit more than just headlight bukake going on under there , note the little plastic aftermarket box with it's associated wiring hackery ....
Attached Thumbnails Help needed with High Beam Switch wiring-diagram_1992_headlights.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Ed , the best advice I can give you is to use this wiring diagram to put your headlight wiring back to it's factory configuration , and then troubleshoot the circuit from there . From your description it sounds as if the highbeam/lowbeam switch failed and the so called "mechanic" (butcher/hackjob artist) tried to bypass the switch's function by using a relay rather thyan diagnosing and repairing the original fault .

PS , I see a bit more than just headlight bukake going on under there , note the little plastic aftermarket box with it's associated wiring hackery ....
I will try and dig into that wiring diagram shortly. As for the other matter... don't mind that, it's just my eBay $25 Car Alarm, and it's $50 installation but at least the installer had a shop.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 PM

*RESOLVED*

Found it to be a faulty leg of the relay used in the original "repair". On a whim I swung by AutoZone, grabbed a replacement relay and harness. While assessing the situation with a flashlight I found that the 12v source was an unused fog light port, not wanting to really dive in I put in a 30a blade fuse in the empty slot and said to myself just swap the relay first... what do you know BOOM both high's and lo's are operational. I'll still be replacing the relay's harness and using connectors to clean up the wiring but I consider this matter resolved!