Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Help!!!

Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LG4
Help!!!

hi every one!,

My name is Marcello im 17 i live in Toronto Canada, i jsut got a 1985 Firebird V6. I am about to purchase a motor/tranny combo from a friend that came out of a 1978 Z28, the motor could be a 305 or a 350 depending cause its not the original motor, so its just a matter of crawling under the car and checking the block. My question is how do i successfully perform this swap? i have never done a swap before, i am an apprentice mechanic with some mech. experience but i havnt done anything major. Getting the old V6 and tranny out isnt my problem. I just need to know what additional parts do i need? i know id need an exhaust which id scrap from a V8 F-body, but what else will i need? tranny mounts? motormounts? the tranny is a TH350 btw. The current Radiator is brand new, the a/c in in good shape, and the alternator is freshly rebuilt. are there any schematic pics or any site someone can recomend to me that have pics or diagrams for this swap? cause i know its a piece of cake, but again bear with me that i have never done a swap before, however im 100% eager to learn and do it. any help would be great!

Marcello
Old 03-17-2004, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
I won't remember everything so do a search, but...

You need the V8 motor mounts from a thirdgen. You will have to move the frame mount.

Tranny will require either a B&M adapter or a spohn crossmember and torque arm.

You need a a v8 radiator

You can forget using the V6 accesories, you will need v8 stuff.

If the v6 uses an intank fuel pump its gonna have to be replaced or a regulator is gonna have to be put in. The V6 tach is going to be off.

There is some more, but I can't think of it now.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: Help!!!

Originally posted by Racing_Trends
...i know its a piece of cake...
Whoever told you that is selling or smoking something.

I have done a few swaps in my day: Buick V6 into a Vega (twice), a couple of different engine/trannies in the '57, including the current big block.

The V6 to V8 in the Camaro was more work by far than any of the others.

The only sane way to go about this is to have a factory V8 donor car. What you have now is next to nothing compared to what you need.

Do a search on this forum. It comes up regularly (stickie in the works).

Search this Thread