Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

which one to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: built 700r4
which one to use

ok so i have kinda came to a stummbleing point. the 305 motor i put im my car to get me around teporarly is smokeing liek its burnign oil. it boggs and runs liek poo. i was gonna do a 350 swap but i dont have the money to do what i want with a 350 right now. i do have the original 84 lg4 bored 30 over and some hyper... pistons to go with it. also the 416 heads for it.

now heres my question, should i rebuild the lg4 and drop it in? the guy i boughtthe car off of said that when he built the lg4 with that stuff it was running like 11:1 compression. and thats more than what i want for a daily driver.

or should i put the 416's on the 87 lg4 i have in the car right now, have them rebuilt and toss them on with the performer intake, and do a mild cam.

i have untill may to have it done but the guy i was gonna have rebuild the heads said he cant do it untill mid-late april. i want to make like 300hp eventualy but i would be happy with 250.

anybody know what it would cost to have my 416's rebuilt and ported?

i wanna only do this once this summer so i'm hesitant to rely on the junkyard motor thats in it now. but rebuilding the 84lg4 and swaping it in seems liek time that i just dont have.

any sujestions on what you guys would do. i just want it ready to race in may and ready for my car show, and 13's would be nice(gutted of course)
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM
On Probation

Car: 2002 Formula
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Re: which one to use

Ok I think I can help you out on this one. I too recently had a LG4 in my car. Ok, undo the motor mount bolts and unhook everything. Now lift the motor out the car, push the car out the way. Push a trash can under the motor and lower. Go get a 350. I just went and got a Trailblazer, 295 HP.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: built 700r4
Re: which one to use

i would love a 350 but i just dont have the recources to make it the way i want.(383 probably) but i do have basicly all the stuff for the 305 except the gaskets. i know i will want to replace it eventualy. but like i said time is the limiting factor. if my stupid donor motor wasnt running like such crap i would be more likly to just keep it untill i can build the 350 i have but seeing a giant plume of blue smoke upon start-up dosent impress anybody.

and i know 305's are just crap compared to most other sbc's but i belive if i wanted to i can get 300hp out of one and 300hp will be enough to runs in the 13's which is fine with me. and then when i gut my crappy interior i can go faster.

the thing i was originaly planing on doing was build the motor thats in the car now and not tuch the internals and then transfer everything over to a 350 when the time is right. but i dont think this motor will last at the track in current form.

i'm tired of thinking which POS motor i should use, i'm gonna go weigh my car and then calculate just how much hp i need then get the nitrous bottle out of my closet...