Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Attn: vortecfcar

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: vortecfcar

I noticed in your signature that you are running a 350 with vortec heads and running pretty good times. I just recently purchased a 97 gm crate motor with the vortec L31 heads on it. Seeing as you have some experience with this i would appreciate your help with a few things.

I would like to swap out the cam before i go about putting it in. Any recommendations on what to go with?
I checked the casting #'s and it indicates a roller cam, would i need to know this when ordering my cam?
When i install the cam is there anything else i need to change with it?
Finally is there anything else you would replace before i put it in, i was thinking about going with a 0.015" head gasket to bump up compression, is this a good idea?
The engine has never been run if this makes a difference.

Hope its not too many questions, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks again, Jon

------------------
Old 01-15-2001, 07:42 PM

Car: '98 Z
Engine: LS1/6
Transmission: 4l60E
Id say the only problem with the vortec heads is that you cant run very high lift cams (good roller cams) without having some work done to them. you can check my sig for the cam specs, Im using the stock L31 springs because HOT ROD did and didnt have a problem. My cam Is quite rowdy in a stock converter car, however it is drivable and It SCREAMS. My advice to You would be to use either my cam and lifter kit or a roller cam with less than .480 inches of lift. As a side note, use the stock rockers just to be safe....I did the same. Youll have to shift your car at about 5800-6000 to get the lowest times. Also get the vette servo to avoid thrashing your stock trans like I did. Installation of cam is pretty much stock SBC stuff. Lemme know if you need any thing else. Have fun buying tires!

also the higher compression idea doesnt sound bad, Mine isnt a vortec short block so I didnt bother as the short block was set up for 76cc chambers and not vortec 64's. Mine will ping on anything but 93 octane.

------------------
91 RS W/carbed 350, Vortec heads, performer rpm, Comp cams Xtreme energy 226/230 duration and .477/.480 lift. BFG Drag radials. 3.42 posi,Corvette servoed 700r4, ****ty stock converter.
13.24@104

[This message has been edited by vortecfcar (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-16-2001, 12:22 PM

thanks for all the input, i'll keep it all in mind. I dont have too many other questions right now but im sure i will in the future. I'll let ya know how i make out.

What kind of price would i be looking at for the vette servo, and if i go with this would it be of any use to still get the transgo shift kit?

How does the ZZ4 hydralic roller cam sound?
specs are 0.474"/0.510" lift 208/221 @ 0.050" duration
Is that too much lift?

All this cam stuff is french to me. I understand a bit, but not all of it

thanks, Jon

[This message has been edited by farm-kid/88camaro (edited January 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by farm-kid/88camaro (edited January 16, 2001).]
Old 01-17-2001, 10:38 AM

Car: '98 Z
Engine: LS1/6
Transmission: 4l60E
the vette servo is about 35-40 bucks and YES, do get the shift kit as well. The zz4 cam would be great if it didnt have as much lift, like I said the lift is the only thing that kinda sucks about the stock conditions of the heads....If you want to have them machined so that the valve locks dont bottom out on the valve guides and put some tougher springs on, that would be a great idea (budget affording). If you do that then Might I suggest the LT4 HOT cam without the lifters (reuse yours) and go with 1.6:1 rockers. However if you just want to bolt on and go youll have to get something more in the neighborhood of .480 lift- dont worry, Itll be plenty fast.