Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Need info on using vortec heads on an older 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Chevy
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Need info on using vortec heads on an older 350

I really dont know much about it, but i know you can put vortec heads on an older 350 and its supposed to be an upgrade. I hear you need a special intake manifold. What manifold would i be looking for and can it be carbureted still or is it going to have to be fuel injected??

If i were to throw the heads on my motor will it work just fine and be at all beneficial without other upgrades like cams or anything? The heads are stock off of a 97 350 vortec. Would i need to change anything with the heads? Mostly concerned about the intake..
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Need info on using vortec heads on an older 350

Originally Posted by westman995
I really dont know much about it, but i know you can put vortec heads on an older 350 and its supposed to be an upgrade. I hear you need a special intake manifold. What manifold would i be looking for and can it be carbureted still or is it going to have to be fuel injected??

If i were to throw the heads on my motor will it work just fine and be at all beneficial without other upgrades like cams or anything? The heads are stock off of a 97 350 vortec. Would i need to change anything with the heads? Mostly concerned about the intake..
There are plenty of Vortec-specific intake manifolds available, including carbureted, TBI, TPI, and CPI.
Just switching to Vortec heads is gonna get you a small benefit. More so if you do headers and a good-flowing exhaust system. But the difference is dramatic if you do a moderate cam.
How do you use the engine? What's your axle ratio?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Chevy
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
There are plenty of Vortec-specific intake manifolds available, including carbureted, TBI, TPI, and CPI.
Just switching to Vortec heads is gonna get you a small benefit. More so if you do headers and a good-flowing exhaust system. But the difference is dramatic if you do a moderate cam.
How do you use the engine? What's your axle ratio?
That is good to know. How can i find out which intake would be the one for a carb? Can i tell just by looking at it cuz it will be used.

What kind of cam would i want to look into and what would the price be? Ok to buy a used one?

The engine is a 350 out of an older chevy van originally, dont recall the year, but its bolted into my 82 trans am that has a 5 speed out of an 84 camaro and the rear end i have no idea, should be stock for the 82 trans am with a 4 speed.

This is really just a small budget thing to have some fun with. Right now i dont drive the car.. Just seeing what i could do with the motor since i just pulled the motor from a 97 yukon to be replaced and figured i could do something with the heads.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 AM
On Probation

Car: 1989 Formula,1991 z28
Engine: 400 Vortec Hsr,496bbc
Transmission: TKO600,TH400
Axle/Gears: 9"4.10, 9"3.73

That is good to know. How can i find out which intake would be the one for a carb? Can i tell just by looking at it cuz it will be used.

What kind of cam would i want to look into and what would the price be? Ok to buy a used one?

The engine is a 350 out of an older chevy van originally, dont recall the year, but its bolted into my 82 trans am that has a 5 speed out of an 84 camaro and the rear end i have no idea, should be stock for the 82 trans am with a 4 speed.

This is really just a small budget thing to have some fun with. Right now i dont drive the car.. Just seeing what i could do with the motor since i just pulled the motor from a 97 yukon to be replaced and figured i could do something with the heads.
rear gear should be 3.23, im pretty sure thats what my 82 4spd t/a had factory..

Those vortecs + an RPM airgap, and a decent sized cam would make good useable power..keep the cam split duration, and matched for the intake/ rpm you plan to spin too.

it'll be FUN with the 4spd.

300rwhp should be EASILY attainable
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Since you mentioned keeping a stock cam, you'd probably do best with the Edelbrock Performer Vortec. If you need to keep the EGR, or just like good MPG, then GMPP has the manifold you need.
For a mild cam, any local automotive machine shop should be able to give you a fair price on a SpeedPro CS1151R.