Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 14 & 96 Camry's, 68 C10,70 Z28
Engine: Depends what vehical I'm driving
Transmission: Also depends which vehical
Axle/Gears: Also depends on vehical
Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question

Newbie here, I am trying to better get to know what is in my 68 C10. I know what you all are thinking at this moment whats this guy doing here, well so far what I have found out about the engine its a Firebird engine or it was the engine that was in use for the Firebirds that year and surprisingly it looks just like any Small Block Chevy engine. Here's the block casting #'s 14093627 so far what I have found out its from 87-94 & the driver side head #'s are 14014416 form 80-99. BUT here is the kicker the Suffix code is V0221AKA that's right the AKA is not a typo. This is whats stumping me being I know that GM engines with the AKA is a Big Block. What also I have found out is some of that years engines (87-94) have Suffix Codes as AKH or AKJ & ATA. What did I get myself into when i bought my Truck. I figured that going to a Third Gen F Body forums site would give me the best shot in getting some answers. Thanks in advance for any help. Marvin
Attached Thumbnails Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question-day-2-004.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question

According to NastyZ28 site, that casting number is a 305 cid small block. I wouldn't worry about the stamped numbers, it's the casting number that tells you what you need to know. The stamping will tell you what model car it was used in and what transmission was used with it. That doesn't matter anymore as that is not the car and transmission it is mated to. HTH!
As a side note, there are many members here that never have or don't anymore, own a thirdgen but gain and pass along knowledge just the same. You won't get torched too bad! HaHa! Sounds like a nice truck. Search around the site, it is amazing the amount of knowledge on these forums. GL!
Old 11-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigal55
According to NastyZ28 site, that casting number is a 305 cid small block. I wouldn't worry about the stamped numbers, it's the casting number that tells you what you need to know. The stamping will tell you what model car it was used in and what transmission was used with it. That doesn't matter anymore as that is not the car and transmission it is mated to. HTH!
As a side note, there are many members here that never have or don't anymore, own a thirdgen but gain and pass along knowledge just the same. You won't get torched too bad! HaHa! Sounds like a nice truck. Search around the site, it is amazing the amount of knowledge on these forums. GL!
I know the 305's aren't nothing to write home about but that's what was in the truck when I bought it and it does run pretty good so it will stay for now. Where is a date Code on the 305 engine located? This might give me a better knowledge on the engines year. My truck before & after getting rid of the "wagon wheels" LOL
Attached Thumbnails Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question-first-day-001.jpg   Suffix & Casting #'s Codes question-dec.2016.jpg  

Last edited by mjgord51; 02-01-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

V0221AKA - V = Flint plant, 02 = Feb., 21 = day of month. To find the year, you need the casting date of the block which is on the rear drivers side of the block. Goto NastyZ28.com for a load of info on casting codes. There is another site, Mortec.com, that has a lot of info also. And, btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 305 in your truck. They are very good engines, as witnessed by their longevity, just not the best for a performance build. I do like the "new" wheels, very cool!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bigal55
V0221AKA - V = Flint plant, 02 = Feb., 21 = day of month. To find the year, you need the casting date of the block which is on the rear drivers side of the block. Goto NastyZ28.com for a load of info on casting codes. There is another site, Mortec.com, that has a lot of info also. And, btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 305 in your truck. They are very good engines, as witnessed by their longevity, just not the best for a performance build. I do like the "new" wheels, very cool!
The AKA kinda through me since the "AKA" belongs to the Big block family not the Small blocks. The engine is still in the Truck so a little hard to see the Date code numbers, does any one Know the *Exact location*of the date code? **Like for instance 1" from what ares to or from 2" from that spot (wheres it exactly).

Last edited by mjgord51; 11-27-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

416s were last used in '86.