Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Motor Mount Hole Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Mount Hole Question

I've asked this question on other forums & never got an answer.

I've read that the '82 model Birds had holes in the front subframe for use with a 301 Pontiac engine. This is because it was thought that the 301 would be used that year.

So, my question is: Did the '83 and any later model Birds still come with the 301 holes ?

Another question is: Since the F-bodies used the same front subframe, did the '82 Camaro come with the 301 holes ?

Yes, I realize that the holes can be drilled. But I'd like to know exactly which vehicles came with the holes already punched(or drilled). I assume they were either punched or drilled with automated equipment. So, I figure all the holes were made at the same time. Just don't know when the 301 holes were eliminated.

Thanks !
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

I've never heard anything like that. I've had two '82 Camaros, one with V6, one with V8. They used different K-member holes. There weren't any that weren't used by either the V6 or V8. I also had an '86 parts car, no differences that I noted (although that was early in my 3rd gen career).

I've never had a Firebird, but like you say, all I've ever heard is they used the same K-member. I'm not sure about the turbo TA, though, not sure what they used for mounts.

Perhaps someone who has information contrary to this could chime in.

Can we assume you plan on swapping in a Poncho?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Motor Mount Hole Question

Originally Posted by five7kid
I've never heard anything like that...I've never had a Firebird...I'm not sure about the turbo TA, though, not sure what they used for mounts.

Can we assume you plan on swapping in a Poncho?
The 301 Turbo engines which came in '80-'81 Birds, used the same motor mounts as the other Pontiac V8's did, in the '75-'79 Birds. So the holes were in the same place.

And, for the 1982 Birds, Pontiac had planned to continue using the 301 engines. One evidence of this is the T/A hood, which had the offset buldge, just like the '80-'81 301T Bird hoods had.

I've read several articles which stated that the '82's had the 301 motor mount holes & the Turbo hoods, because the 301T option was planned. But, at the last minute, the plan was changed, & the 301 was dropped.

About 10 years ago, I decided to get back into bracket racing. I figured a 1st or 2nd gen Bird would be above my meager budget. But, I discovered that there were plenty of 3rd gen Birds around, dirt cheap. I bought an '84, '86, '88, & a '91. The most I paid was $500. And the bodies were all good.

But before I got a motor built, I found a good deal on a race-ready '74 Ventura bracket car. I helped a friend put a 350 sbc in the '88 Bird, for a little bracket racing. But I eventually sold all the 3rd gens, without ever putting a Pontiac engine in one of 'em.

At that time I had never even used a computer, so I knew nothing about all the car info available online. But, I'd seen some pics of a Pontiac powered 3rd gen race car, in a Pontiac book by Pete McCarthy, if I remember correctly. It showed that the mounts used were the same as those used in the '75-'81 Birds. So, I'd just planned to bolt the mounts to the engine, then weld to the frame, after determining the correct location.

But, since I've run across this new info, I thought I'd try to find out if any '83 or later Bird already has the correct holes, OR if ONLY the '82 has 'em. That way, I'll know which year model or models, might have this small advantage, if using Pontiac power. Drilling extra holes, or welding the mounts is not a big thing, it would just be cool, and a bit less work to simply bolt the mounts in, using the factory supplied holes.

Don't know if I'll ever get around to building a 3rd gen or not. But, if I find another super good deal on one, I might. If so, I'd like to have all the info I can get, about the Pontiac engine swap. There are several real nice, quick, Pontiac powered 3rd gen Birds, running in the GT classes of NHRA Super Stock. They look light & very aerodynamic.

Yeah, I'm an old school Pontiac freak, who would not consider anything but Pontiac power, for my Pontiac.

NOTE: I was logged in with my Facebook page. But when I tried to post this, it said I was not logged in. So, I registered with this user name. Just wanted everybody to know what happened.