Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: 2004r
Wiring

I'm looking to put a 350 carbed into my car and I was wondering where I could get the motor and what I would have to swap on the motor for it to work in my car. Also I was wondering about wiring the motor so that I only have what I need. I don't want to have any accesorys on the motor and wire in only what I have to to be able to drive the car. Basically what I want is a motor and transmission with as little wires and vacuum lines as possible just for a track car. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Wiring

I'll leave it up to you where you want to get your motor from,... but as far as the wiring goes,

The ENGINE wiring that's already in your 82 is about as bare bones as it can be.

There is also an ECM wiring harness under the hood too; This is NOT the Engine harness. if you do not intend to retain the original SMOG, Carb, or Distributor than remove the ECM harness completely, get an aftermarket carb and a vacuum advanced distributor to run your 350.

The ENGINE harness in an 82 Thirdgen runs,... well; the engine. The only "accessory" that the engine wiring harness contains is the wiring for your wipers.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: Wiring

Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

Since you're starting out with a 2.8l V6, you need to go to the V6 to V8 Swap sticky thread in the top section of this forum. The wiring actually isn't too bad - you'll need to move/lengthen the wiring that currently goes to the distributor/coil, oil pressure sending unit, engine temp gauge, starter, etc. After you disconnect everything from the ECM harness (that large bundle that comes up from passenger side fender well), what's left is most everything you're going to need for the V8 (you won't need the heater bed under the carb, though).

The sticky will tell you everything else you'll need to do mechanically. Spoiler alert: Nothing that is on or attaches to the V6 will fit the V8.

As to where to get the engine: Depends upon your budget (you're going to need a transmission, too). Got $3500? http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...4450K/10002/-1 (Oh, that's just the engine). Here are more options: http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...29887/10002/-1

Probably the easiest way to do the swap is to buy a complete 3rd gen with the engine you want and swap everything over. The absolute easiest way (and probably the least expensive) is to sell the car you have and buy one with the engine you want.