Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

87 trans am engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, 2008 Mustang Bullitt
Engine: 5.7 TPI
87 trans am engine swap

I was wondering the best route for my 87 gta I have the stock 350 broke down and was planning on going to a 383 tpi or carb witch ever would be the cheapest and less hassle I have the stock tpi setup with edelbrock intake manifold for the tpi but was wondering with a budget of 4000 to 5000 which would be easier looking to get a nice build and a good amount of power? Any help is appreciated!!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: 87 trans am engine swap

Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

One problem I see is "Phoenix, AZ". That means emissions requirements, I believe. An EFI system like TPI (or later system in its entirety) or a computer controlled q-jet are the only systems that are emissions legal.

That being said, there are several 383 TPI systems being used by TGO members, although I'm not sure how many are emissions-legal. The biggest issue is the air flow capability of the TPI - that can be fixed with aftermarket parts, but not all are emissions legal.

While the CC q-jet can easily handle a 383, it would be more involved to swap into your car in place of the TPI system. And a complete system (that hasn't been hacked up) may be difficult to find.

IMO, the best option is to upgrade the TPI with emissions legal aftermarket parts. It will require some computer tuning.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, 2008 Mustang Bullitt
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Originally Posted by five7kid
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

One problem I see is "Phoenix, AZ". That means emissions requirements, I believe. An EFI system like TPI (or later system in its entirety) or a computer controlled q-jet are the only systems that are emissions legal.

That being said, there are several 383 TPI systems being used by TGO members, although I'm not sure how many are emissions-legal. The biggest issue is the air flow capability of the TPI - that can be fixed with aftermarket parts, but not all are emissions legal.

While the CC q-jet can easily handle a 383, it would be more involved to swap into your car in place of the TPI system. And a complete system (that hasn't been hacked up) may be difficult to find.

IMO, the best option is to upgrade the TPI with emissions legal aftermarket parts. It will require some computer tuning.
Thanks for the reply I've been looking at a used ls1 and and tranny set up on Hawks motorsports and the budget kits to go with the swap I'm thinking this might be the best route I'm not to confident on the wiring of the new Ecu might have to find a shop for it not sure how that will work with my 5000 budget though.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

An LSx swap produces a sweet combo, but is even more involved getting it emissions-legal (not many on TGO actually have an emissions-legal LS swap).