Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Engine Swap Handling Improvements - TPI to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Silver 1985 Iroc
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Engine Swap Handling Improvements - TPI to LS1

Hey guys. I have been researching the board a little bit and saw that there is a decent weight reduction from 100-200 lbs between these motors. Curious about what you have all seen in the handling department both good and bad after the swap was done. I did search the board but didn't see much talk about the handling gains. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: Engine Swap Handling Improvements - TPI to LS1

It definitely not 200 lbs saving. I would say its more like 100-130 at the most, depending on what you wind up using for parts and whatnot.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Silver 1985 Iroc
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by scooter
It definitely not 200 lbs saving. I would say its more like 100-130 at the most, depending on what you wind up using for parts and whatnot.
Still a fair amount of weight savings especially if you don't do the AC. TPI motor with manifolds/accessories has to be pretty high.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by fast lenny
Still a fair amount of weight savings especially if you don't do the AC. TPI motor with manifolds/accessories has to be pretty high.
Yes and no. You can drop quite a bit of SBC weight by just going aluminum heads and water pump. The only real savings you get is from the aluminum block, aluminum water pump and aluminum heads over the iron counterparts, and maybe a little with the composite intake. The aluminum SBC is almost exactly 100lbs less than an iron SBC, but the LS block has a deep skirt and big steel main caps, so it isn't a 100lb savings over the SBC. The LSx components are a little heavier than one would expect otherwise, accessories are probably a wash at best, since they are all the same materials, for the most part, but some items are a lot heavier. Oil pan, for instance, is cast aluminum and is a lot heavier than the stamped steel pan. I would really like to get a 1000lb fish scale, but it's a but more than I would spend for trivializing part weights. I weighed my car this summer. Base 92 Firebird, LR4 (iron block) with car accessories (C5/6 style, with the iron PS pump) and intake, F-body manifolds, stock exhaust routing (like a TPI car) T56 with stock weight FW, kept A/C my car was almost 3600lbs, but I did add a lot of weight into the car. I Added a lot of FatMat and Mass Loaded Vinyl, probably at least 100lbs for all that. So I am up there in GTA territory, weight wise on my W68 car. I could have saved a little weight with long tube headers, and a "shorter" exhaust and an aluminum LSx, but it wouldn't be that much difference. maybe 100lbs total I could drop.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

I think the TPI --> LS2 was about #75 savings, then ditched stock rad for aluminum rad (#10-15?).
The motor is 2" set back (good), but difference in 700r4 to 4L65e was an additional #20 (bad, but mid-car position (good)). Then adding the 12 bolt added another #25 at the rear (probably a good thing).
So, I probably saved #40-#50, but with much better weight distribution.