Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine upgrade

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. My brother in-law is looking to freshen up or replace the motor in his 90 firebird TBI,T-top car. Does any make a plug and plug computer upgrade and are they worth the money, or am I better to do a LS swap , it looking like a lot of work(maybe I'm wrong). Just looking for ideas, things that worked and things to stay away from. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2021, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 454
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Engine upgrade

Can’t go wrong with a blueprint crate and a terminator X
Old 02-13-2021, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 409 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Re: Engine upgrade

Originally Posted by Nhfirebird
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. My brother in-law is looking to freshen up or replace the motor in his 90 firebird TBI,T-top car. Does any make a plug and plug computer upgrade and are they worth the money, or am I better to do a LS swap , it looking like a lot of work(maybe I'm wrong). Just looking for ideas, things that worked and things to stay away from. Thanks!
As always, the decision of which path to follow (either stay with a SBC direct swap or go to an LS) will be determined by:

*The expected level of performance, and subsequent use of the finished vehicle.

*Who will be doing the actual work; if it's the car owner, his/her experience level.

*And of course, probably the most important factor---the budget (a good starting point here would be to double however much you think it will actually cost).