Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Tick-tick-tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
Tick-tick-tick

I made the mistake of using the gaskets that came with my Hedman headers, and i've got an exhaust leak.I've already replaced the collector gaskets with with ROL steal core ones,but i think it's leaking at the header itself.I've heard good things about the Felpro #1444 gaskets but wondered if they are compatible with my exhaust ports.Are they ok to use on 87'and up heads?(Mine are off a 94' 5.7 tpi truck) The reason i ask is the book listed different port sizes for gm heads and with the headers on,i can't measure mine.Thanks.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
If I recall you need the circle port, I forget though, so ask and someone might be able to help ya, or just call summit. I wouldn't use fel pro's on header gaskets, get the copper or aluminum ones.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Yes definetly spend the extra cash on the copper or alluminum ones. I had planned on swapping heads along time ago so when I did the headers I just used the paper gaskets....some reason my hookers came with two sets..well lets say they are gone. Blew one day when I was driving it hard.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: WC T5, 3.23 posi
I would reccomend Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets. I haven't had any leaks (course the locking bolts help too). Definitely don't skimp out when it comes to header gaskets/bolts, it's worth the money.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Compressed asbestos or graphite compound gaskets will leak. Copper gaskets will leak. Dead-soft aluminum will leak. Percy's probably will too - haven't tried them yet

The only thing that worked for me was Permatex Ultra Copper. Unbolt the headers, get a bunch on your finger and smear away. Sealed for LIFE! Gas, heat, high pressures, etc can't touch it. But be warned, when it comes time for removal you will need a pry bar.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
Compressed asbestos or graphite compound gaskets will leak. Copper gaskets will leak. Dead-soft aluminum will leak. Percy's probably will too - haven't tried them yet

The only thing that worked for me was Permatex Ultra Copper. Unbolt the headers, get a bunch on your finger and smear away. Sealed for LIFE! Gas, heat, high pressures, etc can't touch it. But be warned, when it comes time for removal you will need a pry bar.
I think I would take my chances with the aluminum or copper ones before I'd go that route.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using fel-pro gaskets, they've worked fine for years. Just make sure you get good bolts and you'll be okay if you torque them down enough. Only place I've had leaks is at the collector.