Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Finished my dual exaust..thought y'all might be intersted.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2000, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished my dual exaust..thought y'all might be intersted.

Since there have been so many posts regarding it here. I did it myself, with some assorted pipe sections and bends from a some old donor pipes I had lying around and my local parts store, a sawzall, an old AC stick welder, and a bit of patience. It's 2.5" all the way back, on both sides.

The passengers side is pretty simple. It comes right off the header, goes inside the subframe, over the crossmember, and straight back inside the transtunnel, right next to and parallel to the driveshaft. Clearance is tight through the whole thing, but it does fit. Didn't even have to dimple anything. Only took 2 ~10 degree bends too. I made them by cutting 2 pipe sectons at an angle, and then welding them together all the way around. The muffler is a Thrush Magnum glasspack, and it sits next to the driver shaft. It turns down just under the rear pumpkin.

The drivers side is a bit funkier. I reused the y pipe I had been using, and kept the same routing. I cut off where the passenger sided used to join in (was a 90 degree joint, right under the R header), and welded a patch over it. It goes under the R header collector, and goes to where the stock cat would be. Instead of a cat, I have the other muffler there. Right after the muffler there is a 45 degree bend (I bought at my local parts store) that turns it parallel to the driveshaft and the other exaust. It actually crosses under the R exaust pipe, in front of the passengers side muffler, and goes back down the tunnel on the drivers side of it. It turns down just before the torque arm bols to the rear.

Results: definatly feels faster. It improved airflow enough that I need to retune my carb, I have a bog in the secondaries now. It also changed the exaust note ALOT. It's actually quieter, even though I'm just using the same muffler on both sides I was using for one. it's higher piched, less rumbly. I havn't decided if I like it or not yet. Sounds like a completely different engine/muffler.

Cost:
Pipes ~$20
Mufflers $17 each
thats it.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
Jesters's Page of Sick Pleasure
Florida Thirdgenners Message Board
ICON Motorsports
Old 10-09-2000, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

I drove it for about 2 hours today...DEFINATLY feels better
Old 10-09-2000, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
How about some pictures for us to see?
Old 10-09-2000, 11:54 PM
RSS

YA CAN'T BEAT GLASSPACKS MAN. DID YOU READ MY POST ABOUT MY NEW EXAUST? I DID A SINGLE SYSTEM WITH A 3" GLASSPACK THEAN RAN ALONG THE DRIVESHAFT TUNNEL. I LOVE IT. TOTAL COST WAS ABOUT $80.

------------------
92 RS 305 TBI 5-speed
...no times yet
it'll do 145 mph though
Old 10-11-2000, 08:29 AM

Thats real cool - after you finish tuning and get everything just right -It'll feel like a totally different car - I noticed that the torque rise is more manageable and seems to peak at a higher rpm than before when I did it

Hey I tried to make the over the axle pipes be cutting at an angle and welding them back too -I made a pair of em- only one held up I took the other to an exhaust shop and had em bend me a pair - $100