Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

True Duals on a 91Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
True Duals on a 91Z?

Hows do these work and is there enough clearance? Im not sure about under the drivers side
Old 10-22-2002, 11:28 PM

The only ones I've heard of is the DynoMax dual exhaust kit (look for it at www.summitracing.com) for like $225... they have one pipe out of each side... they won't fit over the rear axle... well, atleast for my 82 camaro... much changed from the 82 to 83... 82's are the black sheep of the 3rd gen... anyhow... I don't know if there's room to go over the axle in the later year 3rd gen's... but that kit has one pipe out of each side (right in front of the rear tires)
Old 10-25-2002, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350, 4200
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3.89
Jared, I researched this topic when I did the exhaust on my car this summer. It is possible, but not worth it unless you are making BIG power. Single 3" is sufficient to at 350hp. The benifits of dual exhaust don't outweigh the cost and the pain in the azz.

Walloutlet on thefody.com posted this a couple of months ago. He is making about 400hp.

Take it from a guy that already has the true duals. 2.5" all the way back. Finding mufflers that sound good and all that is pretty hard. Lets just say I didn't come up with the combination that I wanted. I went with hedman shorties. That stupid torque arm causes more problems then anything when it comes to putting more than one pipe down the middle of your car. If I were to do it again (which I am) I am going to put a single 3" pipe down, less banging and it makes mufflers easier to find and allows me to find that perfect sound.
PS. I have a 86 TA with a 400 block in it as well. Trust me on this its not worth the problems for what true duals will give ya. Unless you are going pure track. Thats a whole other story.
I have heard of other guys who have spend a fortune on duals and aren't happy.
BTW, the only shop that can do it in Saskatoon is Thane's. He even said that he could do 3" pipes. I think the cost was about $800.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:57 PM

Location: tokyo - where the girls are pretty and the cars are fast
lots of topics on this in the past the easiest way to set it up is havin the mufflers before the axle and dumpin the exhaust there