Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Where should i put my exhaust cut-out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should i put my exhaust cut-out?

I don't plan on spending $500 for exhaust, so i just want to use a few parts to open my exhaust. I don't care that i won't be using it full time. I actually prefer to be able to fully utilize the exhaust when i decide to.

So which is the best set-up out of the ones below? Please consider price, power, AND mechanical stress (ie: burning valves.... i don't want that)

1. An exhaust cut-out before the cat.

2. Replace cat with a high-flow cat, then put the cut-out after that.

3. A cut-out isn't worth it. It's complete crap and will ruin your car.

I know i'll be losing torque by using a cut-out before the cat, how can i reverse the effects? Will the high-flow cat help me retain my torque? And will i need to re-tune my CPU?

Where and for what price can i buy a high-flow cat?

BTW, i have a '91 RS TBI
Old 02-06-2001, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2016 Ram 1500
Engine: 3.0L Diesel
Transmission: 8sp
Im going to say put the cutout before the cat but I know therll be people saying not to.
as far as I know, the exhaust before the cat on these cars is not optimized for any rpm range so making it flow freely wouldent really change things that much in the range where you want to make power.
bottom line - you may loose torque under 2-3000rpm or so but I dont think anyone will dispute that freeflow will improve POWER on a stock motor. unless you need that torque to tow a boat or something you wont miss it and it might even help you control wheelspin when you launch from a stop.