Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

air hose on cat hooks up to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS T-Top
Engine: 305 High output TBI
Transmission: automatic 40LB...
Axle/Gears: Ten bolt
air hose on cat hooks up to?

So I got my 91 camaro with a bad cat, and it had the air hookup on the side but no tubing going to it. I failed emissions on the visual inspection for not having the hose, but i put tubing up to the black box that its suppose to be on and it melted it. tried again and I failed nox by .329 and co hc by 1.499 (CO) could the air hose not being hooked up cause this? what is the black square box that the hose goes to called? how do i keep it from melting? sorry I just have no ideas...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: Stock L03
Transmission: Stock T5
Axle/Gears: Stock, Too high
Re: air hose on cat hooks up to?

There needs to be a few feet of hardline coming off the cat to deal with the heat of the catalytic converter. The box is called the A.I.R. diverter valve or somesuch, switches the pump outlet from the manifolds to the cat as the vehicle warms. The idea is it improves the effeciency of the catalyst as oxygen is required for combustion, if nothing else it dilutes what comes out the tailpipe, if its inop, you will almost assuredly have higher HC readings.

ETA: Are you saying the valve (black box) melted? or the tubing?

Last edited by Beef; 03-21-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Car: 91 RS T-Top
Engine: 305 High output TBI
Transmission: automatic 40LB...
Axle/Gears: Ten bolt
Re: air hose on cat hooks up to?

Originally Posted by Beef
There needs to be a few feet of hardline coming off the cat to deal with the heat of the catalytic converter. The box is called the A.I.R. diverter valve or somesuch, switches the pump outlet from the manifolds to the cat as the vehicle warms. The idea is it improves the effeciency of the catalyst as oxygen is required for combustion, if nothing else it dilutes what comes out the tailpipe, if its inop, you will almost assuredly have higher HC readings.

ETA: Are you saying the valve (black box) melted? or the tubing?
thanks for the info, i enjoy learning about everything. and I melted the valve so there is no inlet anymore. I went to the junk yard and it looks like I was missing a piece between the valve and pipe, that might block direct heat from from melting the valve.