Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Long Tube Headers And You!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Tube Headers And You!

Gents,

I figured I would write up a little something for you all to save a few the headache and cussing I went through. Let me start by filling you in on what my project is. 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe, 305 V8. I stripped the engine of most all emission crap and was ready to dive into the new exhaust system. I ordered Heddman Headers (part #68460). I read a bunch of stuff on here and, as far as long tube headers go, these appeared to be the best bet for fitament on my vehicle.

THIS WAS NOT THE CASE!

If anyone tells you they put these headers on their Camaro with no problem at all, they are either making up stories or did not actually take place in the installation of these nightmares!.

#1) Physically, they fit. I had them in and bolted on. All would be okay, so long as you are okay with the headers resting on the front suspension components, etc. Now, I say "they fit"....let's discuss that for a second. Getting them to "fit" took some doing. We are talking disassembled engine mounts, starter removal......on and on and on.

#2) Once the headers were "on", we quickly discovered the starter could not be reinstalled while the headers were in the way. This presented an obvious problem. Can't put the starter on with the headers in place. Can't put the headers in place with the starter on.

A long story (and two days or wrenching later), I gave up and called Summit. I told them the fitament was not even close to being as described. They asked me to ship them back to them, which I just did today. My shorty headers are on the way.

Moral of the story....Unless you own a machine shop and are willing to butcher your vehicle's underside, do NOT attempt to install long tube headers (the Heddman 68460 anyway). Go for the shorties.

Just trying to save someone some trouble.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Long Tube Headers And You!

You are not the first to have to do a little work to make long tubes fit. I had to clearance the rear a-arm mount to make my hooker 2210's fit. I would have thought you would have come across that issue in your searches. Other thing is saggy motor mounts compound the issue; have yours been replaced?

mini starters are the way to go with long tubes.

If you're more willing to make a performance sacrifice than clearance the a arm mount, then shorties would be a good choice.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta
You are not the first to have to do a little work to make long tubes fit. I had to clearance the rear a-arm mount to make my hooker 2210's fit. I would have thought you would have come across that issue in your searches. Other thing is saggy motor mounts compound the issue; have yours been replaced?

mini starters are the way to go with long tubes.

If you're more willing to make a performance sacrifice than clearance the a arm mount, then shorties would be a good choice.
Truth. Long tubes, headers in general even, aren't really plug and play type upgrades. If you can get it in by only minor clearancing here and there they fit well by most standards. The Hedmans actually fit pretty well. Even the coveted SLP headers are known to have fitment issues. Ironically the only headers I know of that DONT have any fitment issues are the LS1 swap long tubes. I think having the exhaust ports evenly spaced makes it easier to route the primaries, but that's just a theory. Dyno Don's shorties are also pretty awesome as far as fitment goes.

Just clearance the a-arm mount and a spot over I think the frame rail area and you should be good to go. A ministarter is a huge help (I suggest an LT1 starter if you can get a used, healthy one, DONT BUY IT FROM A PARTS STORE, get it from rockauto, way cheaper) A smaller starter is a huge help with almost ANY headers, not just these. The smaller size gives you more room to work, and also means that they're a LOT easier to get on and off since there's a lot less weight you're having to hold over your head. I remember with my other starter I kind of had to put them and the headers in at the same time. A little tricky.

This is where/how you need to modify your suspension mounts. Nothing severe.

Name:  AArmPerch.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  28.2 KB
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM

The reason you had the trouble was that you didn't have a mini in the first place. No mini starter = NO LTs...

Also not shure why your talking about undoing motor mounts, I didn't touch mine. I can post pics of my under side when I get my new muffler welded on.

LTs FTW/thread